BioGaia AB - Interim management statement 1 January – 31 March 2017
Comments from the Managing Director:
“ Sales during the first quarter of 2017 amounted to SEK 141 million, which was an increase of 5% compared to the corresponding period last year. This in combination with a strong gross margin meant that the operating profit reached SEK 56 million and increased by 9%. After the strong end of 2016, some countries had a slower sales start in 2017. Therefore, it was gratifying that we could compensate for this through revenues linked to the new agreements signed in December 2016 with Kabaya Ohayo Holding in Japan and continued growing royalty revenues by Nestlé, ” says Axel Sjöblad, Managing Director of BioGaia AB.
Period from 1 January – 31 March 2017
(Figures in brackets refer to the same period of last year. The comparative figures in the balance sheet refer to 31 December 2016.)
- Net sales amounted to SEK 141.1 million (133.9), an increase of SEK 7.2 million (5%). For the past 12-month period, sales increased by 13%.
- Net sales in segment Pediatrics reached SEK 110.0 million (108.1), an increase of 3%.
- Net sales in segment Adult Health amounted to SEK 26.5 million (21.1), an increase of 26%.
- Operating profit was SEK 55.8 million (51.3)¹, an increase of SEK 4.5 million (9%). For the past 12-month period, operating profit increased by 22%.
- Profit after tax was SEK 42.9 million (38.7)¹, an increase of SEK 4.2 million (11%).
- Earnings per share amounted to SEK 2.47 (2.23)¹. No dilutive effect arose.
- The period’s cash flow was SEK 77.5 million (39.0)¹. Cash and cash equivalents at 31 March amounted to SEK 320.6 million (243.1).
Key events in the first quarter of 2017
- BioGaia’s products to be launched in Thailand.
- BioGaia signs exclusive agreement in Australia.
Key events after the end of first quarter 2017
- BioGaia’s oral health probiotic to be launched in three new markets.
¹ Excluding the former subsidiary Infant Bacterial Therapeutics (IBT) AB, which was distributed to the shareholders in March 2016.
Teleconference : You are welcome to take part in a teleconference on the year-end report that will be held today, 3 May 2017, at 9:30 a.m. CET with Managing Director Axel Sjöblad. To participate in the teleconference, please see telephone numbers at www.biogaia.com/agenda . The teleconference can also be followed at https://tv.streamfabriken.com/biogaia-q1-2017 .
This information is information that BioGaia AB is obliged to make public pursuant to the EU Market Abuse Regulation. The information was submitted for publication, through the Managing Director, at 3 May 2017, 8:00 a.m. CET.
This is a translation of the Swedish version of the interim report. When in doubt, the Swedish wording shall prevail.
For additional information contact:
Axel Sjöblad, Managing Director, BioGaia AB, telephone 46 8-555 293 00
or Margareta Hagman, Executive Vice President, BioGaia AB, telephone 46 8-555 293 00
BioGaia AB Box 3242, SE-103 64 STOCKHOLM
Street address: Kungsbroplan 3A, Stockholm
Telephone: 46 8-555 293 00, Corp. Identity no. 556380-8723 www.biogaia.com
BioGaia is a healthcare company that develops, markets and sells probiotic products with documented health benefits. The products are primarily based on the lactic acid bacterium Lactobacillus reuteri which has probiotic, health- enhancing effects. The class B share of the Parent Company BioGaia AB is quoted on the Mid Cap list of the Nasdaq OMX Nordic Exchange Stockholm. www.biogaia.com .
BioGaia AB Box 3242. SE-103 64 STOCKHOLM Street address: Kungsbroplan 3, Stockholm Telephone: 46 8 555 293 00, Corp. identity no. 556380-8723. www.biogaia.com .