PBS TeacherLine Expands Online Professional Development Program With Additional Spring and Summer Course Terms
Most popular PBS TeacherLine online professional development courses for educators now offered six times a year
ARLINGTON, Va. (April 20, 2011) – To provide educators with more online learning opportunities throughout the year, PBS TeacherLine® ( www.pbs.org/teacherline ), the premier provider of online professional development for preK-12 educators, has expanded its course schedule to six terms. PBS TeacherLine now offers additional spring and summer terms that feature some of its latest and most popular online facilitated courses. Enrollment is now open for the late spring term beginning on May 11, the early summer term starting June 22, and the late summer term commencing on August 10.
Unlike self-paced online courses, PBS TeacherLine courses are facilitated by highly qualified veteran educators who are experts in their field. Facilitators provide learners with ongoing support and guidance to ensure an effective professional development experience. The asynchronous courses are six weeks long, taking approximately 30 hours to complete. Teachers can earn professional development points, continuing education units, or graduate credit for recertification and career advancement.
The new spring and summer terms offer several of the most in-demand topics and highest-rated courses from PBS TeacherLine’s catalog of more than 80 online courses that span the preK-12 curriculum, including:
- Children’s Authors on the Web: Online Sites That Motivate Students to Write
- Communication and Collaboration in the 21st Century
- Curriculum Mapping 1 by Heidi Hayes Jacobs
- Inspire Elementary Students with Engineering
- Enabling Students with Special Needs to Succeed in Math
Research conducted by Learning Point Associates, Hezel Associates, and professors from Old Dominion University show that PBS TeacherLine courses help educators boost their confidence and competence in instructional technology integration, improve their knowledge of content and instructional strategies, and increase student achievement. With its collaborative learning environment, graduate-level course of study, and high-quality digital resources, PBS TeacherLine consistently earns one of the highest course completion rates and repeat learner rates in the education industry.
More than 62,000 educators have completed PBS TeacherLine courses to expand their teaching skills and master new content while adding to their professional credentials. For more information about PBS TeacherLine, visit www.pbs.org/teacherline .
About PBS TeacherLine
PBS TeacherLine is committed to helping teachers acquire the skills they need to prepare students for a successful future. PBS TeacherLine provides high-quality, affordable professional development for preK-12 educators through facilitated, online courses, collaborative learning communities, and exemplary Internet-based resources. Currently, more than 80 courses across multiple subject areas are offered. Teachers can earn continuing education units, professional development points, and graduate credits for course completion. The courses have been developed in conjunction with leading education organizations, including the Mid-Continent Research for Education and Learning (McREL), Concord Consortium, and International Society for Technology in Education. Created in 2000, PBS TeacherLine is funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, representing approximately 85 percent of the total program funding. The remaining 15 percent is funded through in-kind support from PBS and program income. For more information, visit www.pbs.org/teacherline .
PBS, with its nearly 360 member stations, offers all Americans - from every walk of life - the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television and online content. Each month, PBS reaches more than 118 million people through television and nearly 21 million people online, inviting them to experience the worlds of science, history, nature and public affairs; to hear diverse viewpoints; and to take front row seats to world-class drama and performances. PBS' broad array of programs has been consistently honored by the industry's most coveted award competitions. Teachers of children from pre-K through 12th grade turn to PBS for digital content and services that help bring classroom lessons to life. PBS' premier children's TV programming and its Web site, pbskids.org, are parents' and teachers' most trusted partners in inspiring and nurturing curiosity and love of learning in children. More information about PBS is available at www.pbs.org , one of the leading dot-org websites on the Internet.
C. Blohm & Associates, Inc.