Education made ‘SIM’ple – PLC Simulation Centre Grand Opening
CALGARY – With the PLC Simulation Centre now open Calgary has a unique clinical space for simulation that allows for “real world” training opportunities for health care professionals. Made possible by Calgary Health Trust and Lifestyles Lottery funds, it is the first full site in the city to be rolled out and is part of a provincial wide strategy the will make Alberta a leader in training and education. The centre includes a ‘family’ of mannequins who can mimic a variety of trauma, clinical and common scenarios in a risk-free, supportive environment to help staff at Peter Lougheed Centre prepare for real-life situations.
Media are invited to the grand opening which will feature demonstrations of the new eSIM centre, speakers and the opportunity to conduct interviews on October 10, 2012.
WHEN: Wednesday, October 10, 2012
TIME: 8:45 – 10 a.m. Demonstration to take place at 9:30 a.m.; interviews to take place from 9:15 a.m.
WHERE: Peter Lougheed Centre. Media are to meet inside the west side main entrance at 8:45 a.m. where a representative will escort media to the event location.
ADDRESS: 3500 26 Avenue NE, Calgary AB
INTERVIEW AND PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES:
- Sue Gudmundson, Vice President of Peter Lougheed Centre
- Marilyn Willison-Leach, Executive Director Quality Skills Development & eSIM
- Dr. Dan Zuege, Medical Director PLC ICU
- Marlene Donahue, Director, eSIM Operations & Education
- Sally Fintoft, CEO, Calgary Health Trust.
- Room 1 – Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with eSIM newborn. The NICU team will run through Neonatal Resuscitation Program teaching using the newborn mannequin.
- Room 2 – Operating Room. Mannequin ‘Noelle’ will be set up on the OR table, draped and prepped post C section, and we will have the Preemie in the warmer, post delivery.
- Room 3 – RT with mannequin ‘HAL’ on BiPAP or vented – RT team is going to have HAL set up on a BiPAP machine, and will remain in the room to assess him one on one.
- Room 4 – Emergency Room with SimMan3G. ER is going to set the room up with their new orientees - this is a dry run for how to use simulation in basic orientation. They will run through a few scenarios (ACLS, GI bleed, anaphylaxis).
- Dry Task Trainer area – There will be a few stations set up with central line trainers, Broselow cart, IO trainer with the five yr old and the one year old. This will display the full SIM family and the use of the dry task room.
Calgary Health Trust, a catalyst in health care philanthropy, connects donor passion with treatment, education and research priorities in the Calgary community. The incredible generosity of our donors has helped to raise more than $330 million for health care since 1996. These funds help advance technologies, programs and services at Foothills Medical Centre, Peter Lougheed Centre, Rockyview General Hospital, Women’s Health, Carewest continuing care centres, community health programs, the University of Calgary’s Faculty of Medicine and other health care organizations in our community. For information on Calgary Health Trust, please go to www.calgaryhealthtrust.ca.
- 30 -
For more information, contact:
Nanica Brown, Communications Advisor