Car buyers beware warns Carfinance247.co.uk
Purchasing a used car can sometimes be a risky business if you don’t carry out important checks before you buy - whether it is on the vehicle itself or to see if it has any ‘skeletons in the closet’ using an HPI check.
Sadly, the press is rife with stories of people who buy a second hand car from an unreliable source, only to find out that it still has outstanding car finance on it – which they are then liable for (or the vehicle will be repossessed) – or it has previously been a write off.
Data published last year* said that one in four vehicles searches carried out using an HPI check were found to have outstanding credit on them.
Carfinance247.co.uk - the car finance and dealer specialists - carried out an independent study* to see just how clued up motorists were when it came to buying a second hand car. Their study revealed:
- that 35% of people would NOT carry out an HPI check before they buy
- female used car buyers were 6% less likely to invest in an HPI check compared to their male counterparts
- 22% of the respondents did not know what an HPI check is (16% of men compared to 35% of women)
- 6% of female buyers would feel comfortable buying a car from a private individual whose address doesn’t tally up with the car registration documents, compared to just 1% of men
- overall, the majority of people (52%) would feel most secure buying from a used car website (offering an HPI check and guarantees) or a used car dealership (51%)
- men were 10% more likely than their female counterparts to be trusting of buying a car online, with lady drivers being 10% more likely to buy from a second hand car showroom
Louis Rix, Director at Carfinance247.co.uk, says: “We were surprised by how trustworthy some people are when buying a second hand vehicle. Around 1 in 4 cars have a hidden history, so failure to carry out the proper checks before purchasing could be devastating.
“And buying from someone whose vehicle registration documents don’t marry up with their ‘home’ address could mean that the private individual is in fact dealer, thereby getting out of any obligations to provide a warranty etc. Or even worse – it could be stolen!
“As a responsible car and car finance provider, our customers can feel secure in the knowledge that any vehicle they buy from our website will have had all the necessary checks carried out on it not only to make sure it isn’t a write off or stolen, but that there is no outstanding finance on it”.
**Independent research carried out in February 2013 on behalf of Carfinance247.co.uk by Usurv.
Louis Rix, Director of carfinance247.co.uk, on: 0845 129 5526 or email: email@example.com
Founded in 2000, carfinance247.co.uk is a privately owned business with offices based in central Manchester. We provide vehicle financing solutions for all financial circumstances such as hire purchase, personal contract purchase, contract hire and other leasing options. No deposit is required and we can supply and deliver any make and model of your choice.