About - ConstructED Online
Simple, Effective Equality & Diversity Services for the Construction Sector
Equality and diversity in the construction sector has long been a topic for discussion. Indeed some public bodies see the sector as a high risk area for discrimination.
However, the time for discussion is over-it is now time for action!
Recent legislation, statutory codes of practice and good practice guidance, that all impact on the sector, are prompting forward thinking organisations to re-evaluate their position on equality and diversity. For some, to not do so will be costly in terms of lost contracts and possible discrimination claims.
Are you aware that:
◦ The Equality Act 2010 has strengthened the law on procurement and established new areas in legislation?
◦ The public sector equality duty, contained within the Act, requires public bodies to have due regard, whilst carrying out its functions, to the need to eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations? This will influence to whom they award contracts to.
◦ Employers are liable for acts of discrimination, harassment and victimisation committed by their employees whilst in the course of employment?
◦ Employers will not be liable for unlawful acts committed by their employees in the course of employment if the employer has taken all reasonable steps to prevent such acts?
◦ The cost of defending a claim on average is £9000, but reputational damage is incalculable?
◦ The construction sector has been identified as a potential high risk area where discrimination is more likely to occur?
So, what does it all mean to you?
Construction companies, of whatever size, need to be aware of the changes in legislation and, importantly, understand how the changes might impact on them as employers and providers of goods, works or facilities.
The changes will affect you in a number of different ways:
◦ As an employer you have a higher risk of claims against you.
◦ As a service provider, you have a risk of claims against you from service users and or members of the general public.
◦ To secure new contracts you may be asked to PROVE your equality and diversity credentials in order to be awarded new work.
Taking action to reduce your risks and improve your prospects of future work is easy. Our ConstructED services are designed specifically with your sector in mind. They will help you to take positive action to improve your reputation as an employer and service provider and minimise your risks.
Our ConstructED services include:
◦ Equality Review; where are you now, leading to where do you need to be?
◦ Policies and Procedures Health Check;
◦ Equality and Diversity for Directors and Senior Managers;
◦ Equality and Diversity for Site Managers, including tool box talks;
◦ Accredited training for your in-house expert;
◦ ConstructED Online, cost effective training for site operatives and remote workers;
◦ Diversity Assured, a nationally recognised award offered by Committed2Equality.
Public Relations Director
Terms of usage