Word of mouth is still the best way people find rented property
The tops three ways of finding a property to rent have been revealed by landlord insurance specialists Cover4LetProperty, who carried out an independent survey* to find out about renters’ habits.
The study highlighted how:
- nearly a fifth (18%) of people found rented accommodation via friends and family;
- 14% found a property using letting agents;
- 12% used a website to find their rented home;
- male renters were nearly four times more likely to choose a property based on a recommendation from friends and family, compared to female renters (23% vs 6%);
- overall, 18% of those questioned rented the second property they saw;
- 24% of male renters were most likely to view two, or more than four, properties before they found one they liked;
- over one in ten of their female counterparts (12%) picked the first home they viewed with the rest viewing two or three properties before they found one they wished to rent;
- 36% of respondents who rented the first property they saw are in the 30-39 age band.
Richard Burgess, Director at Cover4LetProperty, commented: “In this modern era of technology, it is very surprising that people looking for rental property are still finding it on the grapevine first, rather than online. And when it came to trust, it seems that blokes still tend to trust their mates more as opposed to our female counterparts. Conversely, when it came to being picky, men did look at more property than the women did before choosing.”
*Independent study carried out for Cover4LetProperty July 2013 by Usurv
Richard Burgess, MCIM, Director at Cover4LetProperty, telephone: 0845 863 9558, or email: email@example.com
With roots going back to 1946, our clients can benefit from 66 years’ of experience in the landlord insurance marketplace. We are award-winning independent intermediaries and act on behalf of our clients in arranging their buy to let and unoccupied property insurances. Our service includes advising clients on their insurance needs, arranging insurance cover with insurers to meet those requirements and help with any ongoing changes that have to be made to their landlords insurance policies.
In 2011 we were proud to beat off some stiff competition for the award for Best Landlord Insurer in the prestigious The Money Awards.