DIO selects Crest Nicholson as partner for major new community in Cambridgeshire
• £1 billion development project to deliver some 4,500 much-needed new homes
• New community set to be one of the most significant developments in the UK
• Long-term partnership structure helps MOD to meet Government housing targets
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) has appointed Crest Nicholson as its Development Partner for Wyton Airfield – a prime site that will deliver up to 4,500 much-needed new homes, infrastructure and community facilities for Cambridgeshire.
Located near Huntingdon, the site is no longer needed for Defence purposes. TheMinistry of Defence (MOD) is selling this land so that the funds can be reinvested in Defence priorities, whilst making a significant contribution to Government housing targets.
The development will also generate some 2,500 new jobs in the area across office and retail sectors.
Matthew Punshon, DIO Director Asset Strategy and Portfolio, said:
“DIO’s priority is to provide the right sized estate to enable military effectiveness which is affordable to government over the long term. Where this allows us to release surplus land for development such as Wyton Airfield, it means that new homes can be provided where they are needed and helps to achieve wider government policies for housing supply and sustainable development.”
Scott Black, Crest Nicholson Group New Business Director commented,
“We are very pleased to have the opportunity to work in partnership DIO to realise the full redevelopment potential of this significant brown field site. With an estimated Gross Development Value of circa £1billion, the transformation of Wyton Airfield into a thriving new community will deliver a mix of much needed high quality new homes, including a proportion for private rent and self build. Furthermore it will be supported by two new primary schools, a new secondary school and improved public transport connections intoCambridgeand Huntingdon. It will deliver significant employment opportunities, as well as a district centre including shops, a doctors’ surgery and supporting community facilities.”
The development will be designed and delivered in line withGardenVillageprinciples - visionary design, high-quality green spaces, a mix of tenures and involvement of communities in both the vision and long term management arrangements.
It is anticipated that a planning application will be submitted in the early part of 2016.
Press enquiries to Emma Sloper, Communications Officer 0121 311 2418
DIO website: www.gov.uk/dio
Read DIO’s blog: https://insidedio.blog.gov.uk/
For further information about Crest Nicholson:
Kerri Moore T: 020 7932 1854 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Georgiana Haig T: 020 7932 1875 E: email@example.com
Notes to Editors
1) The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) plays a vital role in supporting our Armed Forces by building, maintaining and servicing what the men and women who serve our country need to live, work, train and deploy on operations.
2) DIO is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD). It is responsible for managing and maintaining land and properties, as well as providing related support services, to meet the current and future needs of the MOD and personnel at home and abroad, and to support current operations.
3) MOD continually examines ways of improving military capability and value for money for the taxpayer. As part of this approach the Department keeps the size and location of its bases under constant review and is committed to ensuring that the Defence estate is no larger than necessary to meet operational needs.
4) Where land, property or bases are determined to be surplus to Defence requirements, they will be usually sold on the open market. This is called ‘disposal’.
5) Crest Nicholson is firmly established as a leading developer with a passion for not only building homes, but also for creating vibrant sustainable communities. The Company’s track record over 50 years shows a demonstrable commitment to delivering innovative, design led, residential developments and large scale, mixed use, urban regeneration solutions.
6) Its on-going emphasis on environmentally responsible housing and commitment to deliver truly low carbon sustainable schemes is evident by an ever increasing development portfolio. Crest Nicholson was proudly awarded the Queens Award for Enterprise in the Sustainable development category in 2007. The Group is a consistent top performer in the Next Generation industry benchmark and holds 5 star builder status for customer service from the House Builders Federation. Visit www.crestnicholson.com