News on Dartmoor Training Area now just a click away
A new Twitter service has been launched to share news and information aboutMinistry of Defence (MOD) activities at Dartmoor Training Area.
Thousands of tourists and leisure users flock to the training site, in Devon, each year and a new hashtag aims to keep visitors and local residents abreast of the latest news and information about the facility.
Twitter users can search for the hashtag #MODdartmoor to keep up-to-date on important issues such as firing times and access.
The new service will make it easy to for Twitter users to track topics and conversations relating to Dartmoor as well as sharing useful information including;
- Firing times
- Low flying aircraft and noise
- Access issues for groups using the site such as walkers and cyclists
- Public safety
- Nature conservation and archaeology
The hashtag has been launched by the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO), which Twitter users can follow using the handle @MOD_DIO.
DIO is responsible for managing and maintaining land and property on behalf of the MOD.
Captain Ian Jarvis (RN), Commandant of Dartmoor Training Area, said:
“DIO’s role is to enable and enhance military capability. Dartmoor is part of that but we also have an obligation to keep the public up to date with what is happening on and around the training area.
“Social media is a modern and convenient way of sharing information and staying in touch. We’ve been working closely with the Dartmoor Steering Group and other local organisations for years and I’m very pleased that we are joining the Twitter community to help us spread useful information about Dartmoor Training Area to local residents and to its many visitors.
“We hope the launch of this new service will have a positive impact and help us engage with and continue to build relationships with local communities.”
The Dartmoor hashtag is the latest to be rolled out by DIO and joins #modontheplain, for users of Salisbury Plain Training Area, #modcastlemartin, for users of Castlemartin Training Area, and #modSFA, for service personnel living in Service Family Accommodation.
Press enquiries to Emma Sloper, Communications Officer 0121 311 2418 or email Emma.Sloper100@mod.uk
DIO website: www.gov.uk/dio
Read DIO’s blog: https://insidedio.blog.gov.uk/
Notes to Editors
1) The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) plays a vital role in supporting our Armed Forces by building, maintaining and servicing what the men and women who serve our country need to live, work, train and deploy on operations.
2) DIO is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD). It is responsible for managing and maintaining land and properties, as well as providing related support services, to meet the current and future needs of the MOD and personnel at home and abroad, and to support current operations.