China Unicom and Ericsson to cooperate on 5G, cloud and IoT
- Ericsson and China Unicom have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to collaborate on network architecture, 5G, cloud and the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Agreement will help drive innovation and early application of 5G mobile network technology
- Ericsson has announced more than 20 agreements to test 5G with operators across the globe.
Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) and China Unicom signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on April 27, 2016 in Beijing, China to collaborate on next-generation networks.
The two companies aim to accelerate the development of next-generation network standardization and the maturity of network infrastructure, to establish cross-industry ecosystems and to foster innovation for new business. The agreement will help drive innovation and early application of 5G mobile network technology.
Under the terms of the MoU, Ericsson and China Unicom will cooperate on network architecture, 5G, cloud and the Internet of Things (IoT), including:
- Next-generation network architecture for fixed mobile convergence
- Cooperation on 5G standardization, research into key technologies and joint testing
- Studies of network visualization and 5G network slicing
- Joint promotion of software-defined networking (SDN) projects in standardization groups and SDN solution verification
- Mobile cellular IoT network end-to-end solutions and services
- Support China Unicom's 'Focus Strategy', commercial network evolution solution and low-cost coverage solution deployment and practice.
Guanglu Shao, Vice President, China Unicom, says: "Ericsson is a long-term strategic partner of China Unicom. As the transformation toward next-generation networks approaches, we hope to strengthen the partnership with Ericsson, the world-leading company, in technology and business development - especially in 5G, IoT and cloud - in order to win the future."
Chris Houghton, Head of Region North East Asia, Ericsson, says: "With Ericsson's industry leading technology, portfolio and global experience, China Unicom will be more competitive in networks and get ready to embrace the opportunities of network transformation."
Ericsson is driving 5G, cloud and IoT technology innovation, and cooperates with customers, partners and global standards bodies. Ericsson has already announced more than 20 agreements to test 5G with operators across the globe. Ericsson 5G Radio prototypes, designed for operator field trials, are already achieving more than 25Gbps mobile throughput. Ericsson and its customers will be key players in defining the next generation of mobile network technology all the way to commercialization.
NOTES TO EDITORS
For media kits, backgrounders and high-resolution photos, please visit www.ericsson.com/press
Ericsson is the driving force behind the Networked Society - a world leader in communications technology and services. Our long-term relationships with every major telecom operator in the world allow people, business and society to fulfill their potential and create a more sustainable future.
Our services, software and infrastructure - especially in mobility, broadband and the cloud - are enabling the telecom industry and other sectors to do better business, increase efficiency, improve the user experience and capture new opportunities.
With approximately 115,000 professionals and customers in 180 countries, we combine global scale with technology and services leadership. We support networks that connect more than 2.5 billion subscribers. Forty percent of the world's mobile traffic is carried over Ericsson networks. And our investments in research and development ensure that our solutions - and our customers - stay in front.
Founded in 1876, Ericsson has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden. Net sales in 2015 were SEK 246.9 billion (USD 29.4 billion). Ericsson is listed on NASDAQ OMX stock exchange in Stockholm and the NASDAQ in New York.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
Ericsson Corporate Communications
Phone: +46 10 719 69 92
Ericsson Investor Relations
Phone: +46 10 719 00 00