Ericsson to transform MetroPCS 4G LTE core network
- Enhances high-speed data, voice over LTE (VoLTE) and Rich Communication Services for US-based MetroPCS customers
- LTE core transformation allows MetroPCS to handle high-capacity needs and save costs by consolidating multiple applications on the same platform
- Expanded partnership makes Ericsson responsible for design, integration, deployment and post-launch customer support
Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) has been selected by Dallas-based wireless carrier MetroPCS Communications Inc. as the supplier of equipment and services to transform its distributed nationwide Evolved Packet Core network. The transformation will enhance key services including high-speed data, voice over LTE (VoLTE) and Rich Communication Services for MetroPCS customers across the United States.
This allows MetroPCS to meet the stringent requirements of rapidly evolving next-generation LTE networks, handle high-capacity needs and save costs by consolidating multiple applications on the same platform, all while enhancing the experience for its customers.
Ericsson will serve as the project's prime integrator with responsibility for design, installation and commissioning, and post-launch customer support.
Roger D. Linquist, CEO and Chairman of the Board of MetroPCS, says: "From the launch of our first LTE network and now our new core transformation project, Ericsson has long been a key strategic partner. We value the strength of Ericsson's product and service offerings, as well as its ability to provide fast and reliable rollouts of leading-edge technology."
Angel Ruiz, Head of Region North America, Ericsson, says: "Ericsson is pleased to support MetroPCS in transforming its network and enabling the delivery of a greatly enhanced customer experience."
The LTE core transformation will be deployed by implementing Ericsson's end-to-end solution, which includes:
- Evolved Packet Gateway (EPG) on the SSR 8000 family of Smart Service Routers - a highly scalable IP service-delivery platform that enables deployment of critical IP-edge applications, addressing the stability of LTE networks via scalability in the data and control planes
- Mobility Management Entity (MME) on the Ericsson Blade System, MkVIII platform - offering superior scalability and extending capabilities to meet aggressive growth predictions in terms of the number of connected devices
- Integrated multi-technology operations support systems - allowing mobile operators to enhance network performance to support real-time operations, while lowering total cost of ownership with lower power consumption and a reduced footprint.
NOTES TO EDITORS
MetroPCS selects Ericsson as primary Microwave backhaul equipment provider:
Ericsson launches its first LTE network in North America:
New MINI-LINK products launched for small cells:
Download high-resolution photos and broadcast-quality video at www.ericsson.com/press
Ericsson is the world's leading provider of communications technology and services. We are enabling the Networked Society with efficient real-time solutions that allow us all to study, work and live our lives more freely, in sustainable societies around the world.
Our offering comprises services, software and infrastructure within Information and Communications Technology for telecom operators and other industries. Today more than 40 percent of the world's mobile traffic goes through Ericsson networks and we support customers' networks servicing more than 2.5 billion subscribers.
We operate in 180 countries and employ more than 100,000 people. Founded in 1876, Ericsson is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden. In 2011 the company's net sales were SEK 226.9 billion (USD 35.0 billion). Ericsson is listed on NASDAQ OMX, Stockholm and NASDAQ, New York stock exchanges.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
Ericsson Corporate Communications
Phone: +46 10 719 69 92
Ericsson Investor Relations
Phone: +46 10 719 00 00