Telstra and Ericsson join together to drive 5G
- Telstra and Ericsson will collaborate on 5G radio access and core network innovation and will lead with 5G field trials.
- Telstra will be a lead collaborator for 5G lab evaluations and field trials
- Telstra's 5G program will include Telstra's industry partners on machine type communication demonstrations and applications
Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) and Telstra (Australia) today announce their agreement to join forces and collaborate on the development of 5G standards and technologies. Telstra is a leading mobile broadband operator whose market success is underpinned by its superior customer mobile experience. An early adopter of LTE (launched September 2011), Telstra works with its network partner Ericsson to deliver ongoing network innovation, most recently with LTE-Advanced.
Building on the successful partnership between Telstra and Ericsson, the 5G collaboration will ensure that evolving industry standards and Ericsson's 5G solutions reflect the needs of advanced mobile network operators.
Mike Wright, Group Managing Director Networks, Telstra, says: "While a 5G world is some time away, it is important to begin key foundational work now to help us to better understand this emerging new technology and what it can do for customers across Australia and the world. For Telstra, 5G will be an evolution of our world leading 4G network, and we are keen to work together with our network partner Ericsson to drive the standards, test new concepts and research the new architectures."
Areas of collaboration include the following:
- 3GPP Standards: Telstra and Ericsson standards teams will work closely together to ensure the evolving standards capture the requirements of advanced operators such as Telstra.
- 5G Radio Test Bed: Telstra staff will join Ericsson in their advanced technology facilities in Sweden later this year to test and analyze the latest innovations from Ericsson's world leading researchers.
- 5G Field Trial: Telstra will run a 5G field trial in Australia which will include opportunities for Telstra's industry partners and customers to experience the potential of 5G.
- MTC: Telstra and Ericsson will run a PoC (Proof of Concept) for MTC (Machine Type Communications, 3GPP Release 13) with Telstra and selected industry partners. MTC is a key enabler of the Internet of Things (IoT) where current device limitations such as range, battery life and size can be significantly improved to allow almost anything to be connected to the network.
- Core Network Evolution: For 5G to be an end-to-end network reality, the mobile core network will need to evolve to support the new services. To facilitate understanding in this area, Telstra and Ericsson will collaborate to investigate and demonstrate key capabilities for a 5G ready evolved core network using the Ericsson Cloud System, Router 6000 series, Evolved Packet Core, SDN controller, IMS and other core elements.
The collaboration activities will commence in the second quarter of 2015 and continue to evolve as the standards mature and 5G becomes a commercial network reality around the 2020 timeframe.
Håkan Eriksson, Head of Ericsson Australia, New Zealand and Fiji, says: "Delivering the benefits of 5G requires an end-to-end approach that includes devices, RAN and core networks. The 5G collaboration with Telstra will deepen our understanding of latest innovations, architectures and use cases important to 5G. It also presents an opportunity to understand how Machine Type Communications (MTC) a key component of 5G can transform many industries including utilities, mining, logistics and agriculture to mention but a few."
"Ericsson has worked closely with Telstra to trial and introduce many advanced radio and core technologies such as LTE Advanced and LTE Broadcast. Our collaboration and partnership on 5G is another key area of innovation."
Ericsson at Mobile World Congress 2015
During Mobile World Congress 2015 in Barcelona, Spain, Ericsson is showing world-leading technology, service capabilities, and innovations. The Networked Society is transforming entire industries. ICT tools have become fundamental everyday resources for businesses, people and society. We lead the way with hardware, services and software solutions that drive development in mobility, broadband and cloud, creating the foundation for new eco-systems, and transformation across industries. The change that transformation brings is in the hands of everyone. That is why we at Mobile World Congress this year will talk about how we enable change-makers in the Networked Society to advance digital experiences.
You can find us at MWC in Hall 2, Stand 2N60. Follow us during the event using @Ericsson and join the discussion using #MWC15. Insights from our experts and Networked Society evangelists are also published on our blog during the event.
NOTES TO EDITORS
Download high-resolution photos and broadcast-quality video at www.ericsson.com/press
Ericsson is the driving force behind the Networked Society - a world leader in communications technology and services. Our long-term relationships with every major telecom operator in the world allow people, business and society to fulfill their potential and create a more sustainable future.
Our services, software and infrastructure - especially in mobility, broadband and the cloud - are enabling the telecom industry and other sectors to do better business, increase efficiency, improve the user experience and capture new opportunities.
With approximately 115,000 professionals and customers in 180 countries, we combine global scale with technology and services leadership. We support networks that connect more than 2.5 billion subscribers. Forty percent of the world's mobile traffic is carried over Ericsson networks. And our investments in research and development ensure that our solutions - and our customers - stay in front.
Founded in 1876, Ericsson has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden. Net sales in 2014 were SEK 228.0 billion (USD 33.1 billion). Ericsson is listed on NASDAQ OMX stock exchange in Stockholm and the NASDAQ in New York.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
Ericsson Corporate Communications
Phone: +46 10 719 69 92
Ericsson Investor Relations
Phone: +46 10 719 00 00