Europolitan Vodafone meets PTS deadline - 3G network opens in Karlskrona

Europolitan Vodafone meets PTS deadline - 3G network opens in Karlskrona Today, the Swedish mobile operator Europolitan Vodafone opened its 3G network in Karlskrona, thereby meeting the deadline set by PTS (the Swedish Post and Telecom Agency) as regards public access to 3G networks from 1 January 2002. "We are now able to provide functional base stations in Karlskrona and therefore consider that we have lived up to the requirements on the rollout of 3G networks from 1 January 2002 imposed by PTS," says Jon Risfelt, President and CEO of Europolitan Vodafone. The newly opened network was supplied by Nokia and covers most of the Karlskrona area. Work on the next generation of mobile telephony networks is proceeding as planned. Much of this work involves pioneering efforts, since Sweden has been one of the first off the mark with its 3G rollout. Technicians from Nokia and Europolitan Vodafone were able to use the 3G network to make calls as early as November. "We still face a number of challenges to which solutions will be found as our work progresses," says Jon Risfelt. "It is tremendously exciting and inspiring to be part of this development work, which will allow Sweden to maintain its reputation as a leading telecoms nation." Service development work is also proceeding at full speed and there are already mobile Internet services available that help simplify the everyday lives of both private users and businesses. "Some of the things we currently do on our computers are being transferred to mobile phones. A growing number of people are discovering the opportunities and benefits offered by having e-mails sent to their mobile phones, having access to the latest news via WAP or ordering tickets via their mobiles. Businesses, meanwhile, can enhance their efficiency by making business-critical information available to employees on the move," he says. For more information, please contact: Magnus Forsbrand, Vice President, Europolitan Vodafone Tel.: +46 708 33 10 41, e-mail: magnus.forsbrand@europolitan.se Johan Holmgren, Director of Public Relations, Tel.: +46 708 33 14 00, e-mail: johan.holmgren@europolitan.se Europolitan Vodafone is a mobile operator with a license to build 3G mobile telecoms networks. Our strength lies in our focus on developing international services, service and quality. Europolitan Vodafone employs some 1,500 people and is listed on the Attract 40 list of the Stockholm Stock Exchange. The company's majority owner is Vodafone of the UK, with 71 per cent of Europolitan Holdings. Private shareholders, investment companies and pension funds own the remaining 29 per cent. The Vodafone Group is represented on 5 continents and has more than 200 million mobile telecoms users. www.europolitan.se and www.vodafone.com Background 3rd generation mobile telephony (UMTS) is a development of GSM that makes it possible to send larger volumes of information wirelessly over the mobile network. 3G will allow customers to send and receive pictures and access intranets, the Internet or databases directly from their mobile phones, transforming the mobile phone into a communication tool that is more than just a telephone, since it also includes a computer, camera, calendar, radio and MP3 player. Pictures available for publication can be downloaded at http://www.europolitan.se/124.euro. ------------------------------------------------------------ This information was brought to you by Waymaker http://www.waymaker.net The following files are available for download: http://www.waymaker.net/bitonline/2001/12/20/20011220BIT01090/bit0002.doc http://www.waymaker.net/bitonline/2001/12/20/20011220BIT01090/bit0002.pdf

Subscribe