ICONIC CALIFORNIA BRANDS FENDER ® AND HURLEY ® LAUNCH LIMITED EDITION MEN’S CAPSULE COLLECTION, HURLEY X FENDER
Hurley x Fender Holiday Styles Pay Homage to Southern California Surf And Music Culture
HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (October 3, 2016)—Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) and global surf apparel and accessories company Hurley announce the launch of Hurley x Fender, a curated men’s holiday capsule collection influenced by the lifestyle of surfing and rock and roll. Hurley x Fender’s patterns and designs are inspired by the iconic tweed print of Fender’s amplifiers from the mid-fifties as well as the music and surf culture stemmed from both brands Southern California roots. Available at Hurley retail stores nationwide and Hurley.com beginning October 3rd, Hurley x Fender’s collaboration brings back the sense of surf and rock 'n’ roll nostalgia to today’s generation this holiday season.
“The launch of the Hurley x Fender capsule collection combines almost 90 years of history dedicated to Southern California’s rich surf and music culture,” said Evan Jones, Chief Marketing Officer, Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. “We are excited to partner with a brand that shares the same core values as Fender and look forward to bringing that quality and craftsmanship to life."
“The Hurley x Fender collaboration represents two innovative brands with deep roots in Southern California culture, said C.R. Stecyk III, Creative Art Director. “It was exciting to work alongside the Fender team and create product representative of both brands’ heritage and passion."
The Hurley x Fender seven-piece collection infuses the influence of the Southern California surfing and rock and roll lifestyle into its design. The collection includes Hurley’s signature boardshorts with Phantom innovation as well as tees, a zip-up hoodie, flannel and beanie. A highlight is the SRFGTR tee which pays homage to artist Bob Perine’s “You Won't Part With Yours Either” campaign, which inspired Southern California youth to perform wild surf stunts with their Fender guitars and amplifiers in hand or slung around their neck while riding waves. The tweed design on the patches and boardshorts was a popular pattern featured on luggage back in the fifties. Admired for its reputation as one of the toughest available fabrics, Fender deemed it a road-worthy material to protect musician’s precious cargo.
The iconic contour visible on the badging and printable t-shirt originated when Los Angeles based artist C.R. Stecyk III worked with a weathered Fender Stratocaster printing it on his Charles Brand etching press on Hurley’s campus in Costa Mesa.
The Hurley x Fender collection includes:
- Phantom Block Party Fender Boardshorts ($70 US) – Patented EZ fly closure, signature foil branding and metallic embroidery. Performance water repellency, all over print with custom Fender x Hurley patch branding
- Fender Tee ($28 US) – 100% cotton, premium tee features iconic Hurley and Fender logos. Available in Black and White. SRFGTR tee with famous guitar playing surfer in White
- Fender Irregular Dye Tee ($35 US) – 100% cotton, premium wash tee features legendary Fender Stratocaster® body shape outline
- Fender Zip ($85 US) – Hurley signature zip-up hoodie with durable water resistant coated Fleece bonded with Sherpa. Features custom back panel SRFGTR design and Fender Stratocaster® body shape patch on front with tweed inspired borders
- Dri-FIT Fender Flannel ($78 US) – Long sleeve flannel featuring Nike Dri-Fit technology. Double flap chest pockets with woven Fender patches and custom Fender x Hurley cat eye buttons
- Fender Trucker Hat ($30 US) – 5 Panel trucker hat featuring Hurley x Fender patch and snap close back
- Fender Beanie ($22 US) – Cuff and slouch beanie featuring Hurley x Fender patch
The soft goods collaboration was an organic next step for Fender and Hurley whose charitable relationship has evolved over the past five years raising over $100K for the non-profit organization, Waves For Water (W4W), providing aid in water solutions to communities in need. In 2015, Fender and Hurley collaborated for NAMM, National Association of Music Merchants, to showcase painted guitars for the anticipated trade show which celebrated California traditions as well hosting the 60th anniversary of the world’s most iconic guitar, the Fender Stratocaster, among many others.
For more information on the Hurley x Fender collection please visit www.hurley.com.
# # #
About Fender Musical Instruments Corporation:
Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) is one of the world’s leading musical instrument manufacturers, marketers and distributors, whose portfolio of brands includes Fender®, Squier®, Gretsch® fretted instruments, Jackson®, EVH® and Charvel® among others. For more information, visit www.fender.com.
Founded in 1999, Hurley is an authentic "Microphone for Youth" brand rooted in surf, skate, art, music and beach cultures. Driven by creativity and freedom of expression, Hurley develops world-class products for guys, girls and kids, including sportswear, footwear, eyewear, accessories, loungewear, swimwear and wetsuits. A wholly owned, independently run subsidiary of Nike, Inc., Hurley's corporate headquarters are located in Costa Mesa, CA, with international offices in Tokyo, Sydney, Barcelona and Bali. www.hurley.com.
Fender Musical Instruments Corp.:
Head of Communications
Director, Global Communications