MOTORISTS URGED TO KEEP WINTER ESSENTIALS IN CAR AS UK FACES ANOTHER ‘WEATHER BOMB’
With forecasters predicting that the UK will be battered by the worst storm for two years later this week and the Met Office issuing snow warnings on ground over 100m as well as ice and sleet on lower levels, Halfords is advising drivers to carry some essential to prepare for the onslaught.
As thermometers are expected to plunge to -8oC (18F), Halfords’ has created a list of ‘sub-zero hero’ products designed to help motorists remain safe and mobile during the severe weather event.
Automotive Trading Director Dave Poulter said : “The phrase hope for the best, plan for the worst is extremely relevant to motorists – who often forget the planning part, leave things to chance and regret it later.
“Almost half of motorists (48%) are anxious or frightened about driving in poor weather conditions, so carrying a few essential items in the boot can help reduce anxiety and inspire greater confidence behind the wheel."
Halfords top ten sub-zero heroes:
- AA Emergency Winter Car Kit (£39.99). Contains a foldable snow shovel, adult high visibility vest, foil blanket, LED torch, snow and Ice grips, booster cables and waterproof ponchos.
- Halfords Ready Mixed Screenwash 5litre (£4.49 for 5litre rated to -10oC). Ensure you keep washer bottles topped-up and avoid dangerous ‘screen freeze’ by choosing a mixture rated to lower winter temperatures. Versions rated to -5oC and -20oC also available.
- Rain-X Rain Repellent & Antifog Pack (£9.99). Improves driving visibility from inside and out - repelling water, sleet and snow on contact as well as eliminating interior condensation.
- Halfords OAT Ready Mixed Antifreeze 2litre (£11.99). Protects your engine from the cold to avoid costly repair bills. Remember there are different types of antifreeze, so check which your car requires before topping-up.
- Holts Tyreweld, 400ml (£9.00). Winter weather can damages the road surface and creates puncture causing potholes & debris. This emergency puncture repair solution seals and inflates punctured tyres instantly - eliminating the need for a roadside tyre change.
- Tyre Snow Grip , 400ml (£4.99). Acts like a spray on snow chain, improving traction on ice, snow and wet surfaces.
- Halfords Green Plastic Petrol Can 5 litre (£5.99) - the weather and resulting traffic mean journeys can take longer, so carrying spare fuel is recommended (available for petrol & diesel).
- Stainless Steel Vacuum Flask 1 litre (£8.00) - keeps drinks hot for over six hours.
- USB Car Charger (£6.00) - Ensure your phone is always charged in case of emergency.
- Halfords Essentials First Aid Kit (£10.00) - contains all the usual dressings and plasters to deal with unforeseen bumps, cuts and grazes.
Stuart Humphreys, Automotive PR Manager, T: 01527 513410, E: email@example.com
Chloe Stewart, PR Coordinator, T: 01527 513315, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors:
Winter driving survey conducted for Halfords by TLF Research during October 2014. Findings based on 2024 respondents.
About Halfords plc
Halfords is the UK's leading retailer of automotive products and aims to enhance customers’ use of their vehicles by ‘Supporting the Drivers of Every Car’ and ‘Equipping Families for Their Leisure Time’.
Through around 300 Halfords Autocentres we are also one of the UK's leading independent car servicing and repair operators - delivering dealership-quality MOTs, repairs and servicing to motorists at affordable prices.
Halfords stores sell around 9,000 retail products, increasing to around 160,000 online - encompassing significant ranges in car parts, in-car technology, child seats and roof boxes.
Customers are able to shop at 465 stores in the UK and Republic of Ireland or order online and choose to either collect from their most convenient store or a home delivery.
Halfords employs approximately 11,000 colleagues who are trained to offer expert advice and 8,000 of which help to deliver a while you wait fitting service for consumables including bulbs, blades and batteries as well as child seats and in-car entertainment systems.
For more information visit www.halfords.com or www.halfordscompany.com