And the winner is . . . Livigno!
Italian resort leads the way at World Snow Awards
The recent World Snow Awards in London gave top honours to Livigno, when it won the prestigious title Best European Resort 2012. Now you too can discover the delights of this exciting Italian resort.
Located high in the beautiful Italian province of Lombardy, amid the splendour of the majestic Alps, Livigno is one of the most snowsure resorts in Europe. In fact, it is known by locals as Little Tibet because of its immense snow fall and perfect temperatures. Combined with first class resort services, this makes Livigno a mecca for skiers and boarders . . . and was precisely why it was rated number one at the Snow Awards ceremony.
Launched by VOS Media, the company behind Ski and Snowboard magazine and the Ski and Snowboard Show, the Snow Awards were judged by a 22-strong panel of ski and snowboard experts, and by public vote.
Olympic stars Martin and Graham Bell, along with Graham's co-presenter on Ski Sunday
Ed Leigh, headed the panel that also included former president of the SIGB Damon Street, editor of Where to Ski & Snowboard Dave Watts, former chief executive of the Ski Club of Great Britain Caroline Stuart Taylor and editor of Ski and Snowboard Henry Druce.
The 2012 World Snow Awards recognise only the very best resorts and Livigno came top because of the impeccable quality and wide range of its services offered across the winter season, including world-beating hotel offers and the super efficiency of its ski lifts.
Special mention was also made of Livigno’s outstanding Freeride Experience, which allows visitors to enjoy exciting yet safe off-piste thrills – it’s the perfect place for a freestyler to combine riding the snowpark and shredding pristine powder.
Nick Miller, Chairman of VOS Media and publisher of Ski and Snowboard said: “The ski and snowboard world is one of the most vibrant and innovative sectors of the travel industry and the World Snow Awards has recognised those who go the extra mile and lead the way for the rest of the industry.”
With its industry peers recognising and rewarding the true quality of Livigno, here are five more things you need to know before sampling the best resort in Europe for yourself.
- Snow business: Set amidst pristine natural surroundings, crisp Alpine air and mountain sunshine, Livigno offers unrivalled ski and boarding opportunities from the end of November to the start of May. There are 115km of slopes of various levels, all served by state-of-the-art ski lifts. There are also 70 sq km of slopes catering especially for snowboarders of all levels and a snowpark with half-pipes, jumps and a boardercross piste. It’s not just about skis and boards however. There are countless other fun activities to enjoy, from racing cars on ice to riding horses in the mountains, snowmobiling to go-karting, ice skating to paragliding. Whatever your passion and desired adrenalin level, you’ll find it richly rewarded in Livigno.
- Sales and souvenirs: A refreshingly duty-free zone, an accreditation granted by Napoleon in 1805, Livigno is the perfect place to enjoy a spot of retail therapy. Its beautiful streets play host to a wide variety of shopping opportunities, from arts and crafts boutiques to snow sports stores where you can discover all of the top brands at great value prices. And don’t forget to sample and stock up on the array of fresh local delicacies.
- A Moooving Experience: The Latteria Di Livigno is a dairy with a difference. Located in via Pemont, close to Livigno´s beautiful lake, the bespoke facility welcomes flocks of new guests from Monday to Friday. Not only can you see the entire milk transformation process at work but you can enjoy tasting all of the delicious finished products. There is also an exhibition area, where visitors can learn about the fascinating history of local agriculture. It really is the perfect place to experience a true taste of Livigno.
- Enjoy the aqua vita: At the Aquagranda Livigno Wellness Park, the emphasis is on pure indulgence for body and soul. At the heart of this thoroughly modern sports club and spa, you can treat your senses and pamper yourself. Four words perfectly sum up the Aquagranda: water, fitness, wellness, and beauty. After a fun day on the slopes it’s the ideal oasis for relaxing and rejuvenating before enjoying Livigno’s famous après piste nightlife.
- Join the party! From the taste-bud tingling Christmas Markets to spectacular Winter Carnivals, breath-taking ice shows to the World Rookie Tour for the planet’s best boarders, there is always something going on in Livigno. Whether it’s dressing entirely in pink for the fun-filled Women’s Week festival or chilling out to the Concert Under The Tree with the Musica Group of Livigno, you can be sure of finding the perfect party for you.
Now you know a little more about Little Tibet, it’s the ideal time to enjoy first hand the first snow and first sunshine of spring – that’s because if you spend your holiday (at least 4 nights in hotel or 7 nights in apartment) here from April 13 to the 1 May 1, 2013, you will be entitled to a free Skipass!
For more information on Livigno, officially the Best European Resort 2012, visit www.livigno.eu/en
Livigno, Valtellina’s flagship resort, is set between the Stelvio National Park and the Swiss National Park. The town has preserved its environmental, natural and architectural characteristics. This is why Livigno is a paradise for anyone who loves holidays close to nature. Livigno conveys peace and serenity and is ideal for a winter or summer holiday, taking strolls along foot and cycle paths or enjoying mountain biking and trekking, alpine skiing, snowboarding, telemark and Nordic skiing.