DARING WANNA–BE CHEFS GO HEAD-TO-HEAD AT TWELVE
Will kitchen tempers flare? Can our amateur chefs step up to the plate? Who has the most culinary talent…and, most importantly, what will the customers think?
The search for Twelve’s Kitchen Hero reaches boiling point on Wednesday (October 27th) as the award-winning Fylde coast restaurant pits the yellow bananas against the orange tangerines!
Two amateur chefs – Adam Blakey from Cleveleys and Sean O’Brien, a former MasterChef contestant from Bispham - will be going head-to-head in Twelve’s award-winning kitchen to impress not only a dining room full of people but also a distinguished panel of judges.
The candidates will compete under the banners of Twelve’s signature dessert dishes – Banana Butty vs Tangerine Dream.
Banana Butty Team: Adam is a freelance web designer. His menu will feature starters of prawn and courgette linguine, and a soup, followed by main courses of roast lamb with a red wine jus, and a chicken dish. His Commis Chef will be BBC Radio Lancashire Producer, Alison Brown.
He said: “I can’t wait to get going – it’s a great opportunity to put my skills to the test. At home I do all the cooking and I love cooking for friends and family. I love Asian and Italian food most of all.”
Tangerine Dream Team: Sean is a Bio Medical Scientist at Blackpool Victoria Hospital. His menu will feature starters of duck and orange salad and chicken liver pate followed by main courses of rib-eye steak with a blue cheese sauce, and a fish dish. His Commis Chef is BBC Radio Lancashire Presenter Sally Naden.
Sean explained: “At home, I am the cook in the house and I especially love Asian cooking – that’s my forte. I was on MasterChef two or three years ago and it was great fun, I got through the first round and even managed to get on television! “I am really looking forward to working in Twelve’s kitchen – it sounds like it will be a great night.”
The event is being staged to celebrate Twelve Restaurant & Lounge Bar’s 10th anniversary and raise money for Trinity Hospice.
There will be more than 60 diners with a Ready Steady Cook style audience vote as well as live commentary and video link-up from the kitchen.
The judges include Fylde coast restaurateur Michael Golowicz and Blackpool Gazette Entertainment Editor, Robin Duke alongside Twelve owners Caroline Upton, Front of House and Paul Moss, Chef.
Caroline explained: “Both Adam and Sean submitted excellent dishes to win through as the two candidates selected to compete in Twelve’s 2010 Kitchen Hero competition.
“We’re looking forward to a super evening – it will be great fun and everyone will be involved. We hope Adam and Sean get a real buzz out of working in a professional kitchen!”
Notes to Editors
• Filming & Picture Opportunities: Please contact Julie Hackett on 07973 196 787 to arrange – available from 2pm-11pm on October 27th. Pictures availble: Twelve Kitchen Hero candidates, Adam Blakey from Cleveleys and Sean O’Brien from Bispham.
• Twelve Restaurant & Lounge Bar is located at the Fylde’s historic gem, Marsh Mill Village, Thornton Cleveleys. It is jointly owned by husband and wife team, Paul Moss, Chef Proprietor, and Caroline Upton, Front of House Proprietor.
• The restaurant is located directly underneath one of the tallest working windmills in Europe. The restaurant is a contemporary dining area and lounge bar, equipped with state-of-the-art kitchen facilities.
• Paul Moss and Caroline Upton also operate Twelve Event Management which provides full event management services including organising locations, catering, entertainment, flowers, staffing and creative ideas.
• 2010 anniversary celebrations: Twelve is celebrating its 10th anniversary with a series of special events. More details are available at www.twelve-restaurant.co.uk
• Twelve employs 32 members of staff including Head Chef, Simon Ball, and Event Designer Dulcie Devlin.
• Awards: Twelve Restaurant is the only restaurant in Lancashire to have Bib Gourmand status in 2010 which it has retained for the sixth year running; 2AA Rosettes; Lancashire & Lake District Life Restaurant of the Year 2004-2005; Ceda Grand Prix Awards 2008 – best kitchen design.
• Twelve Restaurant & Lounge Bar is open six days a week, from Tuesday until Sunday, from 6.30pm and for Sunday lunch from 12noon-2pm.