ION TELEVISION BREAKS INTO THE TOP 10 FOR FIRST TIME, DELIVERING ITS BEST QUARTER EVER
Network Registers 10 Consecutive Quarters of Year-Over-Year Growth in All Key Demos
NEW YORK – April 4, 2011 – ION Television kicked off the first quarter of 2011 by breaking into the top 10 ranked networks for the first time in its history and recording its best quarter ever in sales prime, according to Nielsen Media Research. ION’s continued ratings surge over the last year is highlighted with a #9 ranking among A25-54. Additionally, Q1 2011 marks ION’s 10th consecutive quarter of year-over-year growth in all key demos. Since its relaunch in 2008, ION Television has increased its viewership by 72% (2009), 52% (2010) and 16% (2011 to date vs. 2010) year-over-year.
“Breaking into the top 10 ranked networks indicates our strategy of high-quality programming is working,” says Brandon Burgess, CEO and Chairman, ION Media Networks. “As we head into Upfront, the numbers show that ION is providing some of the most dependable results in the television landscape.”
Additional Q1 2011 ION rating highlights released this week by Nielsen include:
- 9% year-over-year increase among A25-54 (543,000)
- 13% year-over-year increase among A18-49 (485,000)
- 19% year-over-year increase in total viewers (1,262,000)
- 21% year-over-year increase in household impressions (971,000)
The quarter also saw ION Television achieve new milestones among its key demos:
- ION’s late night programming became a driving force during the network’s Q1 as viewers turned to ION as an alternative destination to late night talk and cable reality re-runs – with the 11pm hour becoming the most viewed hour in the 7pm-12am daypart for the network among A25-54 and A18-49.
- January marked ION Television’s most watched month ever among A18-49 (494,000) and its best week ever (1/3) in both A18-49 (545,000) and total viewers (1,455,000).
Source: Nielsen Media Research, M-Su 7p-12a, L+SD Data, Strict Daypart. 8/28/06 – 3/27/11. Rankings based on cable entertainment networks (excludes kids, sports, and news networks). Consecutive quarters of year-over-year of growth: M-Su 7P-12A, 9/28/08 – 3/27/11, A25-54 AA(000) vs. same quarter year-ago for ION, USA, TNT, FX, TBS, A&E, DISC, ADSM, HIST, TRU.
ABOUT ION TELEVISION
ION Television is a leading U.S. general entertainment network, combining high-quality programming and dependable broadcast distribution with an attitude of innovation and growth normally associated with a cable channel. Its "Positively Entertaining" network brand positioning features a formula of proven series, an expansive catalog of blockbuster movies and a commitment to introduce new original programming. Since its recent launch in 2008, ION’s reach has grown to 99 million households and has become one of the top-15 TV rated U.S. networks in record time. For more information, visit www.iontelevision.com .
# # #
Christina Gilmartin, ION Media Networks