Liverpool John Moores University’s essential guide to Clearing 2014
Press release (No Embargo)
On Thursday 14 August thousands of students across the country will receive their A level results and find out whether they have been successful in securing a place at university this September.
Representatives from LJMU are available to explain the options; from outlining the Clearing process, offering funding advice, insights into the value of a degree and views from the Liverpool Students’ Union.
Carolyn Williams, LJMU's Director of Student Recruitment and Admissions, said:
“LJMU, like many universities, will have places available across a wide range of courses during Clearing. However, Clearing is not just about students who have not achieved the grades that they expect. If you are applying late to higher education, if you have changed your mind about what you would like to study or perhaps your grades are better than anticipated, call the Clearing Hotline at LJMU to discuss your options.”
LJMU has set up a dedicated team of Clearing operators to assist with the volume of enquiries it expects on its Clearing Hotline number - 0500 564 565 - following the publication of A Level results. Academic staff will be on hand to talk to students about the different programmes available.
Carolyn Williams added:
“Our Clearing Hub operators can also advise applicants about securing student accommodation. All late applicants to Liverpool John Moores University are guaranteed city centre student accommodation with other LJMU first year students. They are also invited to apply for the University’s National Scholarship Programme provided they meet the eligibility criteria, more details can be found on our website www.ljmu.ac.uk/clearing.”
Press enquiries - Photo/interviews and filming options
To arrange interviews with key LJMU spokespeople before or during Clearing (at the Hub address below), contact Clare Doran (Press Officer) on 0151 231 3004 / email@example.com
Who: Interviewees available from LJMU in advance or on 14th August are:
- Registrar and Deputy Chief Executive Mark Power
- Student Funding Manager Lynne Condell
- Director of Graduate Advancement and Employer Engagement Terry Dray
- Representatives from the Student Recruitment and Admissions Team
- Representatives from the Liverpool Students' Union
Clearing Hub address: IT Suite, 2nd floor, John Foster Building, Mount Pleasant
Notes to Editors
- LJMU’s Clearing Hotline number is 0500 564 565. The Hotline will be operational from 7.30am on Thursday 14 August 2014 and calls from UK landlines are free. Callers from outside the UK should dial +44 151 906 1040.
- LJMU’s Clearing Open Day will be held in University’s Redmonds Building, Clarence Street L3 5UG) on Saturday 16 August 2014 from 10.00am to 3.00pm.
LJMU’s top tips – how to get the most from Clearing
- Follow us on Twitter for the latest course vacancies and updates @askLJMU
- Visit www.ljmu.ac.uk/clearing for vacancy information, tips and advice
- Keep checking UCAS Track for updates on your application. It is here that you will be notified if you are successful or have been referred into Clearing. You will also be able to enter Adjustment via Track, see our online advice for more information
- Make sure you have a pen and paper handy when calling universities; you also will need to supply details of your examination results, contact details and your Clearing number (beginning with a C, see UCAS Track)
- If you are made a verbal offer or are expecting a ring back, please ensure you take the name and direct telephone number of the member of staff you are speaking to
- When looking for a course do not ring universities randomly and in a noisy place, it is not a good idea to plan the next three or four years of your life like this! Admissions staff may want to interview you over the telephone so find a quiet place
- Don't just accept the first course offered to you but think carefully about what it entails and your own ambitions i.e. if you want to become a teacher look for courses relating to this field with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) or that can lead to a PGCE / PGDE (Postgraduate Certificate / Diploma in Education.)
- Seek advice - both our Confirmation Line 0151 231 5090 and Vacancy Hotline 0500 564 565 can offer guidance
- Research the university and city, not just the course. Liverpool is a lively and vibrant place with a lot to offer its students - it is important that new students see this for themselves so attending the Clearing Open Day on Saturday 16 August is a good idea
- Remember to contact the Student Loans Company as soon as your offer of a place is confirmed. Our Student Advice Team can offer advice - call 0151 904 6056/7 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- LJMU guarantees accommodation to all new students, including those who apply through Clearing. Please visit the Accommodation Office website www.ljmu.ac.uk/accommodation
- Enquire about our NSP scholarships! See www.ljmu.ac.uk/clearing for more information.