Spire Harpenden Hospital hits the mark with Macmillan
Macmillan has given its thumbs up to the quality of care provided for cancer patients at Spire Harpenden Hospital.
The cancer support charity awarded its ‘Macmillan Environment Quality Mark’ to the hospital after examining the facilities and patience experience on offer.
Spire Harpenden Hospital achieved an above average pass mark and is now re-accredited for another three years.
External assessors for Macmillan spent a day touring the hospital, interviewing staff and checking evidence to ensure that it met its stringent criteria.
Wayne Large, head of clinical services at Spire Harpenden Hospital, said: “I am very proud of my clinical team for this special achievement.
“This three year re-accreditation will give our patients the confidence and assurance that the staff and nurses at the hospital and in our oncology department continue to work to Macmillan’s high standards.”
About Spire Healthcare
Spire Healthcare is one of the UK’s largest private hospital providers with 39 hospitals, including St Anthony’s, and 13 clinics nationwide. The company offers a full range of integrated surgical, medical and diagnostic services.
The company was formed from the sale of BUPA Hospitals to private equity company Cinven in 2007, followed by the purchase of Classic Hospitals and Thames Valley Hospital in 2008. Spire has since built Spire Shawfair Park Hospital (Edinburgh), the Montefiore Hospital in Brighton, and acquired Lifescan. Since Spire was formed, performance improvements have included:
- Multiple Independent Healthcare Awards: ‘Excellence in Training’ (2013) ‘Medical Practice’ (2012) ‘Innovation’ (2011), ‘Risk Management’ and ‘Nursing Practice’ (2010), ‘Nursing Practice’ (2009), and ‘Healthcare Outcomes’ (2008)
- Increase in percentage of patients rating Spire ‘excellent’ or ‘very good’ - from 88% in 2008 to 92% in 2013*
- Increase in percentage of consultant surgeons rating Spire ‘excellent’ or ‘very good’ - from 51% in 2008 to 78% in 2013*
- Increase in percentage of employees who think Spire is a ‘great place to work’ - from 62% in 2009 to 72% in 2013.
For further information please visit: www.spirehealthcare.com
* Rating options include ‘excellent’, ‘very good’, ‘quite good’, ‘quite poor’, ‘very poor’ and ‘totally unacceptable’
T: 07947 799651