Actress-Turned-Author Mara Purl Launches Kindle Single When Hummers Dream as Short Story
The e-Book Market Expands with the e-Single for Short Stories
(July 13, 2011 - New York City, NY) – The world of publishing is changing as rapidly as the music industry. Instead of buying an entire CD of a recording artist, you may only download a tune or two. Books are going the same road. Until recently authors had two choices, write it short enough to fit into a magazine/newspaper/blog or long enough for a whole book. Kindle single ebooks change all that and author Mara Purl is releasing her first Milford-Haven Single into that marketplace on August 1, 2011. Yes, books are still being published in the traditional fashion, but a new market is also emerging.
Days of Our Lives actress-turned author Mara Purl is rapidly becoming one of the most successful women’s fiction authors in the U.S. Her book, What the Heart Knows, hits the market in September---as both hardcover and e-book. But, still some may not be familiar with her writing. Enter the Milford-Haven Single with its first short story entitled When Hummers Dream.
“People are reading more than ever—and on every possible platform,” Purl observes. “We read on our phones, computers, paperbacks, magazine, hardcovers, and now that e-readers have such great design and functionality, we carry our favorite books and authors everywhere we go. Yet, how do we find a new author? This is where a free or low cost e-book sample can open an exciting new door.”
Purl goes on to explain, “My new e-book will be available on Kindle from Amazon, but I am branding it a Milford-Haven Single because it’ll also be available on Nook from Barnes & Noble, on Kobo from Borders, and on all e-reading platforms. I think it’s a wonderful idea and it opens an entirely new market for books.”
Amazon.com defines the Kindle Single in a recent release, “… in many cases, 5,000 to 30,000 words (roughly 30 to 90 pages) might be the perfect, natural length to lay out a single killer idea, well researched, well argued and well illustrated — whether it’s a business lesson, a political point of view, a scientific argument, or a beautifully crafted essay on a current event (or literary short fiction).”
The title of Purl’s first Milford-Haven Single is When Hummers Dream. It's a short story …which happens to take place in August. Additionally, she has added more as a bonus for the reader.
“The story features my protagonist, artist Miranda Jones, in my favorite little coastal town of Milford-Haven,” says Purl. “The story involves Miranda and a hummingbird she paints after he gets in trouble. Also included in the Milford-Haven Single will be the Prologue and Chapter 1 of What the Heart Knows, so you'll get a jump on the novel.”
Mara Purl launches her book, What the Heart Knows, in September 2011 with a Hardcover Edition published by Bellekeep Books in association with Midpoint Trade Books.
About the Author Mara Purl:
- Mara Purl was a performer on-camera and on-stage, with her regular character on Days Of Our Lives having been her starting point for soap opera.
- Purl began her writing career as a journalist for the Associated Press, Rolling Stone, The Financial Times of London, Working Woman Magazine, and The Christian Science Monitor. A prolific fiction author, she also has written a play and several non-fiction books including Act Right: A Manual for the On-Camera Actor with actress Erin Gray.
- Other Awards include: for radio, the New York Festivals Award; for her play Mary Shelley: In Her Own Words, the Peak Award; and for public service, Woman of the Year 2002 by the Los Angeles County Commission for Women.
- Mara Purl is also an accomplished musician. Her instrument is the koto and she recorded and has played on the international stage with many noteworthy musicians including the works Sumahama recorded with Mike Love and the Beach Boys, Pathless Path recorded with Charles Lloyd, Koto Keys with Marilyn Harris, and Teiji Ito’s Watermill recorded with Grammy-winning musician Steve Gorn.
- The hit song “Jet Laggin” she co-wrote with Marilyn Harris is in current release on the new CD Orphans.