Mitsubishi Electric brings low-carbon chiller to market
Mitsubishi Electric has launched a range of advanced, inverter-driven chillers to the UK market to challenge the traditional way of delivering cooling and heating.
The highly efficient e-series modular chiller range is designed to answer the need for controllable, energy efficient cooling and heating with reduced plant size and a host of advanced features and benefits taken straight from the company’s experience in the air conditioning industry.
Mitsubishi Electric has marketed chillers in Japan since the 1970’s and the company’s engineers have looked at every aspect of the technology to design a modular system with a reduced footprint for smaller units, and a unique, three-year warranty.
“Our engineers have examined every single component to find ways of increasing performance, reliability and overall system efficiency”, explains Jason Tinsley, Product Manager, Central Plant.
The e-series uses two advanced DC inv erter-driven scroll compressors in each 90kW module – taken from the VRF (Variable Refrigerant Flow) sector, to deliver a capacity range of 8% to 100%. The models deliver market-leading levels of efficiency with the ability for units to operate on their own or in tandem with others.
The unique shape and modular design of the e-series means that the system can be constructed with up to six individual units connected together, to provide capacity of between 90kW and 540kW.
The use of U-shaped heat exchangers offers a greater surface area and also means that the units are much narrower than conventional systems. Each 90kW module can be positioned next to each other in a row with up to six units using the same in-built, internal header. For larger systems it is also possible to have double rows of the units with a gap of only 900mm service space.
The modular approach also enables the company to hold units in stock available for on-site delivery, rather than clients having to build to order.
“Chiller systems have been used for decades to deliver controlled cooling to buildings, but with increasing pressure of energy efficiency and running costs, we now need a low-carbon, cost effective alternative”, adds Tinsley.
The e-series achieves some of the quietest noise level on the market which is increasingly important in inner city locations. These low noise levels are achieved through both the unique construction and design of each unit as well as the advanced component technology within each chiller, which is also easily integrated within new and existing systems using BEMS control.
Everyone operating a building now needs to meet challenging legislation that is driving the demand for increased energy efficiency and control. At the same time, modern buildings and upgrades are becoming more air tight so effective climate control is essential.
“We are bringing these to the UK chiller market because we believe the time is right for a high performing, low carbon solution that can also help reduce space requirements”, says Tinsley.
The unique e-series modular chiller range offers exceptional features to aid design, specification, installation and on-going operation.
- High efficiency inverter compressors. Two advanced DC inverter-driven scroll compressors are incorporated within each 90kW module. This gives a capacity range of 8% to 100% for each module.
- Two-stage cooling circuit. Both compressors serve separate plate heat exchangers located in the centre of the unit. By modulating the evaporating temperature individually, overall system efficiency can increase by an additional 3.9%, compared to single evaporating refrigeration cycles.
- Fan inverter control. Each of the two refrigerant circuits has three separately controlled, inverter-driven DC fans, allowing for more precise control to save energy and optimise system efficiency.
- Front service. Access for the control box and other service parts is located at the front of the unit to ease service and maintenance regimes.
- U-shaped high performance compact air heat exchanger. The use of U-shaped heat exchangers allows for a greater surface area whilst also keeping the e-series units much narrower than conventional chillers. Weather-resistant coating on the heat transfer plate is also provided as standard.
- Fans. The e-series fan blades have improved ventilation characteristics and a newly designed rear edge that suppresses wind turbulence to increase efficiency.
- Internal header pipe. The in-built internal header pipes simplify design, installation and maintenance and makes the e-series range modular and suitable for almost any situation.
- Digital indicator. A dedicated digital indicator inside the PCB displays high pressure, low pressure, water inlet temperature, water outlet temperature, error codes, etc, thereby aiding service and maintenance