TAKE STEPS NOW TO PREVENT RISK OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

Following the recent dramatic carbon monoxide poisoning storyline involving two of TV soap Coronation Street’s most popular characters, public awareness of the dangers of CO poisoning in the home has probably never been higher.  Yet new research commissioned by home improvement retailer B&Q reveals that 6 out of 10 households do not have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted.  The Heating Helpline says that homeowners and tenants should take steps now to prevent a tragedy caused by the ‘silent killer’.

7 February 2013 Following the recent dramatic carbon monoxide poisoning storyline involving two of Coronations Street’s most popular characters, public awareness of the dangers of CO poisoning in the home has probably never been higher.  Yet new research commissioned by home improvement retailer B&Q reveals that 6 out of 10 households do not have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted.  The Heating Helpline says that homeowners and tenants should take steps now to prevent a tragedy caused by the ‘silent killer’.

B&Q surveyed 2,000 homeowners from across Britain and the key finding was the lack of a carbon monoxide alarm with less than four in ten homeowners having one fitted.  This is compared to 8 out of 10 households having at least one working smoke alarm.

Blane Judd, Chief Executive of B&ES, who operate the Heating Helpline, comments, “Carbon monoxide incidents in the home resulting from defective or poorly fitted heating and cooking appliances are all too common; figures released by the Department of Health reveal the hidden toll, each year, from this dangerous invisible gas with 4,000 admitted to A&E, 200 people hospitalised and around 50 deaths in England and Wales.

“CO poisoning occurs when gas fired appliances such as boilers, cookers and fires are not operating correctly.  Unfortunately too many households go years without getting their cooking and heating appliances maintained.  Homes with old appliances or appliances that have been infrequently serviced are most at risk.  We strongly advise that households take steps now to prevent the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, the most important one being to call in a reputable, qualified heating engineer to have your appliances serviced and safety checked.

“A second line of defence is to fit a European Standard certified audible carbon monoxide alarm.  It is essential that your alarm is marked with the EN50291 safety standard and with the CE mark.  These are widely available to buy online and from electrical or home improvement outlets.  Your local Gas Safe Registered engineer will also fit one for you”.

For more advice call the Heating Helpline on 0800 810 8303 or visit their website at: http://www.heatinghelpline.org.uk.

Ends

Issued on behalf of the Building & Engineering Services Association (B&ES) by Next Step Marketing Ltd

Media enquiries to:  Heather Lambert.  Tel:  44(0)1256 472020;

Fax:  44(0)1256 471010; E-mail:  heather@nextstepmarketing.co.uk

Notes to editors

Since its formation in 1904, B&ES, the Building & Engineering Services Association (formerly the HVCA) has represented the interests of companies engaged in a wide range of building and engineering services including domestic heating and renewable technologies.

B&ES members are subject to regular, third-party inspection and assessment of their technical competence and commercial capability, carried out by an independent certification body at least every three years.

B&ES members who undertake gas installations are registered with Gas Safe – the gas safety watchdog body – and are also members of TrustMark, the Government-endorsed scheme designed to direct customers towards reliable tradespeople.

B&ES operates the Heating Helpline (http://www.heatinghelpline.org.uk) to provide consumers with free, impartial advice on every aspect of home heating.

Picture Caption:

Left:  “Keep your family out of harm’s way – make sure all fuel burning appliances in the home are regularly serviced and safety checked by a registered, qualified heating engineer.”

Right: “Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless gas that will not be detected by a smoke alarm – to detect if it's present in the home it’s essential to have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted.”

Tags:

About Us

Next Step Marketing (NSM) is a marketing and communications agency based in north Hampshire. The business is headed up by Denzil Lee. Prior to setting up NSM Denzil spent 11 years as Director of Marketing for National Boat Shows Ltd (London Boat Show & Southampton Boat Show) and before that held other senior sales and marketing roles with two FTSE 100 PLCs. He has been a member of The Chartered Institute of Marketing since 1992, gaining Chartered Marketer status in June 1999. In November 2006 he was made a Fellow of the Institute. Since 1992 he has also been a member of The Marketing Society. We have worked across many different sectors with extensive experience of both consumer and B2B campaigns.

Subscribe

Media

Media

Quick facts

New research commissioned by home improvement retailer B&Q reveals that 6 out of 10 households do not have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted.
Tweet this
Figures released by the Department of Health reveal the hidden toll, each year, from this dangerous invisible gas with 4,000 admitted to A&E, 200 people hospitalised and around 50 deaths in England and Wales.
Tweet this
It is essential that your alarm is marked with the EN50291 safety standard and with the CE mark.
Tweet this

Quotes

CO poisoning occurs when gas fired appliances such as boilers, cookers and fires are not operating correctly.
Mr Blane Judd, chief executive of B&ES
We strongly advise that households take steps now to prevent the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, the most important one being to call in a reputable, qualified heating engineer to have your appliances serviced and safety checked.
Mr Blane Judd, chief executive of B&ES
A second line of defence is to fit a European Standard certified audible carbon monoxide alarm.
Mr Blane Judd, chief executive of B&ES