WINTER MEANS INCREASED RISK OF CO POISONING – SENSIBLE ADVICE ON KEEPING OUT OF HARM’S WAY FROM ‘THE SILENT KILLER’

As winter approaches and our use of fuel for heating increases there is a correspondingly higher level of risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.  To minimise the risk of CO poisoning around the home, follow these important tips issued by B&ES (the Building & Engineering Services Association) who operate the free consumer advice service, the Heating Helpline.

18 November 2014 As winter approaches and our use of fuel for heating increases there is a correspondingly higher level of risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Carbon Monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned.  CO is an odourless, colourless, non-irritant gas and the most common cause of fatal poisoning in the UK with around 40 people each year being killed by it and hundreds more made seriously ill, caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning boilers, heaters and other appliances.

Infants, elderly people, unborn babies and people with anaemia or with a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible.  Symptoms of CO poisoning may include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness and confusion.

To minimise the risk of CO poisoning around the home, follow these important tips issued by B&ES (the Building & Engineering Services Association) who operate the free consumer advice service, the Heating Helpline:

  • Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances checked and serviced by a registered, qualified heating engineer every year.
  • Install a battery-operated CO alarm in your home (and caravan, motor home or boat if you have one).  Check or replace the alarm battery as advised by the manufacturer; this may mean every year depending on the type you buy.  Test your CO alarm(s) frequently and replace dead batteries.
  • Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed or nauseous.
  • Never use a portable generator, BBQ/charcoal grill, camp stove or other fuel burning device inside your home, garage or in a confined area like a tent or awning.
  • Don’t run a car inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Do not use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
  • Do not sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.
  • Make certain that doors on all wood stoves fit tightly.

Roderick Pettigrew, Chief Executive of B&ES, comments, “Homes with old appliances, or appliances that have been infrequently or never serviced, are most at risk, with research indicating that nearly a quarter of UK homes have one or more defective gas appliances.

Carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the winter months because we use heaters more often, we let cars idle, we close off the outside – which decreases ventilation.  Ironically the Government’s various and laudable initiatives to encourage householders to improve the insulation of their homes will actually mean there is an even greater threat of CO poisoning due to the increased air-tightness of homes.  That is why fitting a European Standard certified, audible carbon monoxide alarm is a vital second line of defence after having your appliances safety checked.  CO alarms are now widely available and can cost as little as £15 – a small price to pay to help keep out of harm’s way from the silent killer.”

The Heating Helpline website has essential safety advice, including downloadable guides, along with an easy-to-use search facility to find local, reputable registered heating engineers.  Visit http://www.heatinghelpline.org.uk or call the Helpline free on 0800 810 8303.

Ends

Issued on behalf of the Building & Engineering Services Association (B&ES) by Next Step Marketing Ltd

Media enquiries to:  Heather Lambert.  Tel:  44(0)1256 472020;

Fax:  44(0)1256 471010; E-mail:  heather@nextstepmarketing.co.uk

Notes to editors

Since its formation in 1904, B&ES, the Building & Engineering Services Association (formerly the HVCA) has represented the interests of companies engaged in a wide range of building and engineering services including domestic heating and renewable technologies.

B&ES members are subject to regular, third-party inspection and assessment of their technical competence and commercial capability, carried out by an independent certification body at least every three years.

B&ES members who undertake gas installations are registered with Gas Safe – the gas safety watchdog body – and are also members of TrustMark, the Government-endorsed scheme designed to direct customers towards reliable tradespeople.

B&ES operates the Heating Helpline (http://www.heatinghelpline.org.uk) to provide consumers with free, impartial advice on every aspect of home heating.

Tags:

About Us

Next Step Marketing (NSM) is a marketing and communications agency based in north Hampshire. The business is headed up by Denzil Lee. Prior to setting up NSM Denzil spent 11 years as Director of Marketing for National Boat Shows Ltd (London Boat Show & Southampton Boat Show) and before that held other senior sales and marketing roles with two FTSE 100 PLCs. He has been a member of The Chartered Institute of Marketing since 1992, gaining Chartered Marketer status in June 1999. In November 2006 he was made a Fellow of the Institute. Since 1992 he has also been a member of The Marketing Society. We have worked across many different sectors with extensive experience of both consumer and B2B campaigns.

Subscribe

Media

Media

Quick facts

As winter approaches and our use of fuel for heating increases there is a correspondingly higher level of risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Tweet this
CO is an odourless, colourless, non-irritant gas and the most common cause of fatal poisoning in the UK with around 40 people each year being killed by it and hundreds more made seriously ill.
Tweet this

Quotes

Homes with old appliances, or appliances that have been infrequently or never serviced, are most at risk, with research indicating that nearly a quarter of UK homes have one or more defective gas appliances.
Rod Pettirgrew, B&ES Chief Executive
Fitting a European Standard certified, audible carbon monoxide alarm is a vital second line of defence after having your appliances safety checked.
Rod Pettirgrew, B&ES Chief Executive