Nordea launches beta version of Samsung Pay in Sweden
Starting today, Nordea’s customers can use Samsung Pay, a new payment service, to make in-store payments with their mobile phones. The service is available to all Nordea Swedish customers that have an active private credit or debit card and a compatible Samsung phone*.
The customer uses, the new service Nordea Wallet app, to automatically register their debit or credit card (Visa & MasterCard) in the Samsung Pay app, and after that, they can use the Samsung Pay app to pay with their phone in most stores around Sweden. Nordea Wallet will be continuous developed and help customers in their daily shopping.
Samsung Pay was fully launched in 11 markets as of February, 2017; South Korea, the U.S., China, Spain, Singapore, Australia, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Russia, Thailand and Malaysia. The merchant does not need to upgrade or modify their existing payment terminals in Sweden to accept Samsung Pay.
-With more than 400 million card transactions alone in Q4 2016, card-based payments is an important part our customers' everyday life. And we constantly strive for developing our offer making the payment experience easy and convenient. With the mobile increasingly being used for payments and banking in general we want to be in the forefront of the digital development and team up with leading partners to provide our customers the best possible experience, says Topi Manner, Head of Personal Banking.
- Sweden is the first Nordic country where Samsung Pay is made available and Sweden is also a leading country when it comes to using mobile payment services, such as Swish. The smartphone penetration is very high and many of our customers are using a Samsung mobile device. says Topi Manner.
The beta version of Samsung Pay is available from March 9 to all our customers. For more information, please visit nordea.se/samsung-pay.
This is Samsung Pay:
Samsung Pay is a secure and easy-to-use mobile payment service that can be used to make purchases almost anywhere cards are accepted.
- SIMPLE: To make a payment with Samsung Pay, users simply swipe up on their Samsung smartphone, scan their fingerprint and confirm the payment.
- SECURE: Samsung Pay uses three levels of security to enable secure payments: fingerprint authentication, tokenisation and Samsung KNOX, Samsung’s defence-grade mobile security platform.
- ALMOST ANYWHERE:** Samsung Pay provides wider acceptance by leveraging both Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) and Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which allow users to pay almost anywhere a card can be swiped or tapped.
* Compatible with Samsung Galaxy A5 (2016), Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 edge. Coming soon Galaxy A5 (2017) och med Gear S3.
** Availability almost anywhere is based on compatibility of Samsung Pay on MST and/or NFC payment terminals, with some supported for use only after software upgrades. Samsung Pay is exclusive to select Samsung Galaxy smartphones, and available across all participating payment networks, banks and merchants. Availability may vary by country and region.
For further information:
Petter Larsson, Press Officer, +46 722 31 5250