NYC & COMPANY ENCOURAGES TRAVELERS TO EXPERIENCE MANHATTAN'S EAST VILLAGE LIKE A LOCAL
— NYCGO Insider Guides Neighborhood Spotlight Includes Documentary Featuring Locals Who Highlight the East Village —
NYC & Company, New York City’s official marketing, tourism and partnership organization, announces Manhattan’s
as the next global spotlight in its
NYCGO Insider Guides
The East Village is a bustling and edgy Manhattan neighborhood full of history—from the concentration of Polish and Ukrainian immigrants to punk-rock culture—and NYC & Company is promoting the neighborhood’s shops, restaurants and attractions in an effort to encourage exploration in must-see neighborhoods and areas beyond traditional tourist locations.
“We’re pleased to place a global spotlight on the East Village—from its ever-evolving restaurant and nightlife scene to the varied and lively theater and culture offerings,” says Fred Dixon, president and CEO of NYC & Company. “By working with locals, we’re able to promote what truly makes the East Village a favorite neighborhood of so many New Yorkers and visitors from around the world, and we encourage everyone to explore the authentic attractions for an only in NYC experience.”
“The East Village captures the lively and dynamic essence of New York City,” says Marty Markowitz, NYC & Company’s vice president of borough promotion and engagement. “With its variety of restaurants and shops, the East Village represents the diversity of cultures in New York City, offering something for everyone whether they are visiting or native New Yorkers.”
Experience the East Village Like a Local
Conveniently accessible by the 4, 5, 6, F, L, N, Q and R subway lines, the East Village is a must-visit destination. As part of the neighborhood promotion, the East Village is highlighted in the documentary series NYCGO Insider Guides, featuring locals who recommend shops, restaurants and attractions that make the East Village distinctive. The documentary and the following places, venues and more are recommended by neighborhood insiders and featured on nycgo.com/insiderguides .
- Historic Sites: Through the years, the East Village has seen significant transformations, and visitors and New Yorkers can learn about its past at Merchant’s House Museum , a National Historic Landmark and the only 19th-century home in NYC in which both the interiors and exteriors have been preserved, or at St. Mark’s Church-in-the Bowery , a Georgian-style church built in 1799.
- Nightlife: There is no shortage of bars, music venues and clubs in the high-energy East Village. Recommendations include Bowery Electric , Manitoba's , Pyramid Club and Webster Hall .
- Restaurants and Cafés: From burgers and oysters at Black Market to pasta and pizza at Lil’ Frankies to ramen and fried chicken at Momofuku Noodle Bar , there are several delicious eats in the East Village. Insider favorites also include the pioneering vegan restaurant Angelica Kitchen ; Café Mogador , a Moroccan and Mediterranean restaurant that opened in 1983; Veniero’s Pastry , a New York City institution, serves over 200 types of Italian baked goods; and Veselka , a 24-hour, 60-year-old Ukrainian restaurant.
- Shops: For punk-rock styles, Trash and Vaudeville carries leather, studs, animal prints, chains and platform shoes and Screaming Mimi’s offers one-of-a-kind vintage clothes and accessories. Another neighborhood favorite, St. Mark’s Bookshop is an independent store that also hosts reading series.
- Theater and Entertainment: The East Village is home to a wide range of theater and entertainment, including low-cost comedy shows at UCB East , unique Off-Broadway performances like Blue Man Group and STOMP , and productions from the classics to experiential pieces at The Public Theater .
Stay near the neighborhood’s attractions at the
Hyatt Union Square
, a vibrant hotel with 178 luxe guest rooms and suites; the
GEM Hotel SoHo
, an intimate boutique hotel, which provides guests with a complimentary iPod walking tour; or the
, a luxury lifestyle hotel, home to 141 spacious guest rooms and an array of dining options. Also nearby, the
W New York Union Square
is a contemporary 270-room hotel located in a glamorous Beaux-Arts building, and the full-service
Holiday Inn Lower East Side
provides high-speed Internet and an on-site restaurant.
NYCGO Insider Guides: Get to know our neighborhoods
New York City is made up of five distinct boroughs: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island. Formerly Neighborhood x Neighborhood, NYCGO Insider Guides, debuting this month, spotlight a new neighborhood each month. The video documentary series and editorial content takes New Yorkers and visitors behind the scenes to introduce them to the character and characters that define some of New York City’s most fascinating neighborhoods.
To view B-roll and photos of East Village neighborhood highlights in the media library, visit nycgo.com/press . Follow @nycgo_press and @nycgo_se on Twitter for the latest information about New York City travel and tourism.
For PR, media and communication in Scandinavia/Finland contact:
Lars-Ola Nordqvist, email@example.com, +46 70-689 11 20
About NYC & Company:
NYC & Company is the official marketing, tourism and partnership organization for the City of New York, dedicated to maximizing travel and tourism opportunities throughout the five boroughs, building economic prosperity and spreading the positive image of New York City worldwide. For more information, visit nycgo.com