NYC & COMPANY FEATURES BROOKLYN’S CONEY ISLAND IN LATEST NYCGO INSIDER GUIDE
—In Time for Summer, Coney Island Locals Share Neighborhood
Must-Sees and Must-Dos in Newest Video Documentary—
NYC & Company, New York City’s official marketing, tourism and partnership organization, today announced Brooklyn’s Coney Island as the next featured neighborhood in its NYCGO Insider Guides. The neighborhood spotlight was unveiled at NYC & Company’s press conference today in Orlando, Florida, at U.S. Travel Association’s IPW, the travel industry’s premier international marketplace.
“With summer on the horizon, we are shining the spotlight on Coney Island, one of New York City’s most iconic summertime destinations, to an international tourism industry audience at IPW,” said NYC & Company President and CEO Fred Dixon, who is in Florida this week promoting travel to New York City. “We encourage visitors to explore the legendary boardwalk, exciting amusement rides, iconic mainstays like the ever-popular Nathan’s Famous and more that make this a must-visit destination.”
“Also known as America’s playground, Coney Island is home to the most exciting amusement rides that are guaranteed to thrill both the young and young-at-heart visitors,” said Marty Markowitz, NYC & Company’s vice president of Borough Promotion and Engagement and former Brooklyn borough president. “Visitors get to experience the best of Brooklyn—strolling the famous Coney Island boardwalk, enjoying the beach and waves, eating to their hearts’ content at boardwalk favorites and more—all in one neighborhood.”
Experience Coney Island Like a Local
As part of the neighborhood promotion, a short documentary is available online that features locals who recommend Coney Island’s attractions, restaurants and more that make it a must-visit destination. To view the documentary and neighborhood highlights, visit nycgo.com/insiderguides.
- Getting There: Coney Island is easily accessible by the D, F, N and Q subway lines.
- Amusement Parks: Thrill seekers can conquer the 125-foot-tall Thunderbolt roller coaster or seek out classic fun on the world-famous Cyclone at Luna Park, ride a swinging or stationary car on the famous Wonder Wheel at Deno’s Wonder Wheel Amusement Park or go back in time at Steeplechase Plaza, which features the landmarked Parachute Jump and the lovingly restored B&B Carousell.
- History and Entertainment: Coney Island USA is a multi-arts center honoring the circus sideshows and American popular culture of the neighborhood’s past, while the Coney Island History Project pays homage to the history of the neighborhood and its people through photography, artifacts and the Coney Island Hall of Fame. While the New York Aquarium undergoes renovations, visitors can still see stingrays and sharks or watch an interactive sea lion show. On the other end of the boardwalk, at MCU Park, they can enjoy a game of baseball and cheer on the Brooklyn Cyclones, the minor league team affiliated with the New York Mets.
- Dining: Totonno’s Pizzeria Napolitano is a family-owned and local favorite that serves up coal-brick-oven pies with imported ingredients from Italy, while Nathan’s Famous, a neighborhood staple, serves beef hot dogs and crinkle-cut fries at its two locations in the neighborhood. Visitors can satisfy their sweet tooth with fresh fudge and caramel marshmallow sticks at Williams Candy, or try some of the best ice cream, frozen treats, sweets and more on the boardwalk from Coney’s Cones.
- Shopping: Take a little bit of Coney Island home with you with unique memorabilia from Coney Island Beach Shop, as well as custom hand-made T-shirts from Lola Star Souvenir Boutique.
NYCGO Insider Guides: Get to know our neighborhoods
New York City is made up of five distinct boroughs: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island. Formerly Neighborhood x Neighborhood, NYCGO Insider Guides, which debuted in March, spotlight a new neighborhood each month. The video documentary series and editorial content takes New Yorkers and visitors behind the scenes to introduce them to the character and characters that define some of New York City’s most fascinating neighborhoods.
To view B-roll and photos of Coney Island highlights in our media library, visit nycgo.com/press. Follow @nycgo_press on Twitter for the latest information about New York City travel and tourism.
For PR, media and communication in Scandinavia/Finland contact:
Elin Norlin, firstname.lastname@example.org, +46 70-279 86 40
About NYC & Company:
NYC & Company is the official marketing, tourism and partnership organization for the City of New York, dedicated to maximizing travel and tourism opportunities throughout the five boroughs, building economic prosperity and spreading the positive image of New York City worldwide. For more information, visit nycgo.com