Is Your Product Appropriate for Direct Response TV?
Top direct response company offers advice on product criteria for DRTV
POMPANO BEACH, FL (April 23, 2013) Have you ever wondered how products are selected for the commercials and infomercials you see all the time on TV?
Lee Kaplan, Operations Manager for Incredible Discoveries, a division of o2 Media, Inc., and one of the largest producers of direct response infomercials and commercials, explains. “I often get asked the age old question, ‘What makes a product appropriate for direct response TV (DRTV)?’ After spending 16 years in the industry, we have several general guidelines that we follow.”
Here are some of the criteria that Kaplan looks for:
- Unique Selling Proposition – How strong is your product’s unique selling proposition? Does your product do something different than anything else in the marketplace? Does your product have the “WOW Factor”? Will people have an “ah ha” moment when they see your product?
- Problem / Solution Product – Does your product solve a problem and provide a solution to the purchaser? If your product solves an immediate problem, or improve a lifestyle, people will be more apt to buy it.
- Mass Appeal – Because TV is a mass medium, your product needs to appeal to the masses. However, with the advent of cable networks that are highly targeted, certain niche categories have the potential to be successful on TV. One such example would be the Golf Channel.
- Pricing – Is your product price attractive and provide a great value? Typically products priced under $100 are suited for short-form DRTV. The lower the price, the more likely the product will connect with consumers and be an impulse item.
- Demonstratable – Is your product demonstratable? This is critical for DRTV. The better the visual demonstrations, the more likely the product will be successful. Remember, product is king!
- Believability – Will consumers believe your solution? Credibility is critical, and if people don’t believe your product will deliver the solution it promises, they will not buy.
- Easily Explained – Is your product easily explained? A consumer’s ability to see your product demonstrated and “get it” will translate into more sales. The old saying, “A picture is worth a thousand words”, is why DRTV can be successful in selling your product.
If you think that you have a great product, and want to see if it meets Incredible Discoveries’ criteria, please contact Lee via email Lee@IncredibleDiscoveries.com or via phone 954.935.3162, ext. 230.
ABOUT INCREDIBLE DISCOVERIES
Incredible Discoveries, a division of o2 Media, Inc., is a fully integrated production and marketing company that specializes in both short form and long form direct response infomercial development. Incredible Discoveries has a unique approach that allows them to work side-by-side with product manufacturers in developing go-to-market strategies via multi-media venues. Incredible Discoveries hosts a team of dynamic professionals with years of direct response ingenuity and expertise. Their unique and fresh approach to infomercial programming has facilitated partnerships with some of the largest agencies and manufacturers in the world. Visit us at www.IncredibleDiscoveries.com.
About O2 Media™
O2 Media™ is an award-winning full-service integrated media and production company specializing in launching brand names out into the world through compelling storytelling and two- way conversations. Our team of Production, Marketing and Technology experts generate buzz and brand awareness for our customers and content partners with a fully integrated media solutions mix using our four Branded Entertainment TV shows, Direct Response, Print and Online Marketing channels.
For more information visit www.o2mediainc.com