Visqueen Building Products supports charity rowathon
Visqueen Building Products, a leading manufacturer of high performance building films, has sponsored a charity rowathon. Staged by Ampleforth College, York on the 5-6th March, the two-day rowathon set out to raise funds for Hopes and Homes for Children, a UK charity which works to transform the lives of vulnerable children across Central and Eastern Europe and Africa (www.hopeandhomes.org).
Around 600 people including parents, pupils, staff and members of the general public took part in the event at the College’s sports hall, completing some 3,500km on indoor rowing machines – considerably more than the original target which was to row the equivalent distance of York to Romania.
Those involved competed in a series of individual challenges and team competitions including a 10km team race projected onto a virtual lake on a big screen and a gruelling 100km endurance challenge for teams of two. Former GB Olympic rower Roger Brown won this event with his team-mate Julian Norton in a time of 3 hours 20 minutes. The remainder of the 3500km was racked up by individual distance challenges and school races.
Commenting on the rowathon, Father Gabriel Everitt, Headmaster at Ampleforth College, said: “We’re extremely grateful that Visqueen Building Products chose to sponsor our charity rowathon. Their sponsorship has played a significant role in helping to raise funds that will support the on-going work of the charity and that will provide care for 60 disadvantaged families for an entire year.”
Rachael Barton, Marketing Executive from Visqueen Building Products, added: “Visqueen Building Products is proud to have been involved in such a fantastic and worthwhile endeavour. Hope and Homes for Children has made a massive difference to the lives of so many children and it felt great to make a contribution towards their invaluable and continued work.”
- ENDS -
Images & captions: Ampleforth Rowathon.jpg: A show of support. Leading manufacturer of building films, Visqueen Building Products sponsors charity rowathon.
For more information on this story, contact Wayne Mohammed or Emma Macey at PRECISION on 0161 638 8718 or e-mail: or
Notes to Editors:
- Visqueen Building Products is a division of British Polythene Industries, one of Europe’s leading manufacturers of polythene film.
- Through products created specifically for the construction industry, Visqueen Building Products offers a comprehensive array of solutions including damp proof courses, damp proof membranes, flame retardant films, gas protection systems, radon protection systems, storm water protection and vapour control layers.
- Working closely with sister business, bpi.recycled products (the largest recycler of waste polythene in Europe), Visqueen Building Products has become a major force in the supply of sustainable products
- Visqueen Building Products offers a variety of reprocessed plastic products including EcoMembrane®, the first damp proof membrane made from 100% recycled post-use waste, and Plaswood – a versatile range of plastic wood products stretching from street furniture to fencing.
- As a result of its commitment to operating in a sustainable way and to minimising the environmental impact of all of its activities, BPI won the Best Green Large Company category at the 2010 Scottish Green Awards.