BPI CELBRATES DECADE OF FTSE4GOOD INCLUSION
British Polythene Industries (BPI) plc is marking a CSR milestone. The business, which ranks not only as Europe’s largest recycler of waste polythene products but also as a global supplier of high performance agricultural films and a leading European supplier of packaging for food and other products, has been included on the FTSE4Good Index Series for the tenth consecutive year.
Launched in 2001 by leading global index provider FTSE Group, the FTSE4Good Index Series was designed to measure the performance of companies that meet globally recognised corporate responsibility standards, and to facilitate investment in those companies . In order to provide institutional investors with an in-depth understanding of a business’ commitment to strong environmental, social and corporate governance practices, it assesses companies against stringent and internationally recognised standards in five key areas:
• Working towards environmental sustainability
• Up-holding and supporting universal human rights
• Ensuring good supply chain labour standards
• Countering bribery
• Mitigating and adapting to climate change.
As a testament to BPI’s long established and deep seated CSR policies, it has been awarded a certificate of inclusion for every year since the Index’s introduction.
Commenting on BPI’s continued certification, John Langland, Chief Executive Officer at BPI said: “BPI is committed to offering its customers high quality, innovative solutions but not at any cost. We firmly believe that the way we conduct our business is every bit as important as the products we produce.”
He continues: ““I speak on behalf of the whole of BPI when I say that we are especially proud to have been included in the FTSE4Good Index Series for the tenth consecutive year. It serves as independent verification of our ongoing and collective commitment to operating in a sustainable and socially responsible manner.”
- British Polythene Industries (BPI) is a leading European supplier of polythene film products.
- BPI is a global supplier of high performing agricultural and horticultural films to over 60 counties worldwide from manufacturing sites in the UK, Belgium and Canada.
- The BPI Group is a major supplier of packaging for the protection of food and other goods.
- BPI is the largest recycler of polythene film waste in Europe recycling over 68,000 tonnes of post-use polythene material from commercial, retail, industrial and agricultural markets.
- BPI's products, which are marketed under well known and established brand names including Visqueen™ (construction films), Silotite ® (silage stretch film), Green Sack ® (recycled refuse sacks) and Supreme™ (stretchwrap) provide high performing, cost-effective polythene solutions across a range of industries.
- As a result of its commitment to operating in a sustainable way and to minimising the environmental impact of all of its activities, BPI won the Best Green Large Company category at the 2010 Scottish Green Awards