Insurance Advice for Nebraska Hail Storm
LINCOLN, Neb. — Following major hail storms striking both Lincoln and Omaha, the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI) urges homeowners and auto insurance policyholders to follow simple tips to recover from recent storms.
“It’s important to contact your insurance agent or company right away to get the claims process started,” said Chris Hackett, PCI’s senior director of personal lines policy. “Claims adjusters are moving into the area to begin adjusting claims for both homes and cars hit by large hail storms.”
Insurers are available to answer questions and help families and business begin the recovery process. Once you file your claim, there are a number of things you can do such as photograph the damage and make an inventory of what was lost and damaged to help expedite the recovery process.
“If your vehicle was damaged in this recent round of hail, contact your insurance company or agent immediately to see if you have coverage,” said Hackett. “. 2016 is shaping up to be a year with a lot of hail damage. So far this year there have been an estimated 78 large hail events in Nebraska and storms in Texas have exceeded the hail losses they experienced in 2015.”
Tips If You Experienced a Loss:
• Immediately contact your insurance agent or company representative.
• Inspect property and cars for damage.
• Inventory losses and photograph damage, and save related receipts to assist with claims handling.
• Secure property from further damage or theft.
• Check the background and legitimacy of repair contractors. Ask your insurance company for assistance in locating a reputable contractor.
• Keep detailed records of business activity and extra expenses during the interruption period, and prepare records to show the income from the business both before and after the loss.
PCI will continue to conversation on twitter @PCIAA and use #FloodSafety where we will share important tips and stories throughout the year.