Find County’s Best Bites from Your Armchair
05th February 2013
The county’s top food and drink producers, cafes, bars, restaurants and tea shops will be named on Thursday (7th February) at the Select Lincolnshire Food and Drink Awards – and you could win a goody bag by watching it online!
For the first time ever, people will be able to watch the awards ceremony at the DoubleTree by Hilton Lincoln from the comfort of their living room via a live stream filmed by Lincolnshire County Council’s onlincolnshire team.
To win the Select Lincolnshire goody bag, people are being invited to watch the live stream which will be broadcast via the onlincolnshire website between 9.30pm and 10.40pm, and then text or tweet the names of three Lincolnshire landmarks which will appear during the ceremony.
The competition to win the goody bag - which will include the latest issues of Good Taste and Lincolnshire Life magazines, recipe cards from award sponsors Lincolnshire Co-operative, Pipers crisps and a famous DoubleTree by Hilton cookie - will be open until midnight on 7th February with the winner being announced the following day.
Angela Driver from onlincolnshire said: “This is a unique way for organisers to interact with a wider audience and give people who aren’t involved in the food and drink industry the chance to see who the awards are going to.
“Being able to watch an event, which is usually not available to the wider public, online helps to demonstrate the power of the Internet and the commercial opportunities it provides.”
Other ‘wired’ activity on the night will include live tweeting and interactive audience voting for a favourite flavoured chocolate by Spires Chocolates of Louth. Videos highlighting how local businesses including the Lincolnshire Co-operative, Doddington Hall and Batemans Brewery make use of digital technology will also be available to watch via the onlincolnshire YouTube channel.
The ‘wired’ activity is being funded by the onlincolnshire project, with part-finance from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). This is the latest in a series of ‘wired-up’ events across the county. The onlincolnshire team is also running internet workshops throughout the year and providing free business support as well as organising Lincolnshire’s first ever digital conference in March.
The last handful of tickets for the Select Lincolnshire Awards are now being sold and it is expected around 190 people will be there on the night.
Lydia Rusling from Lincolnshire County Council said: “Once again we are delighted with the response to our annual awards. The evening is a real celebration and acknowledgement of all the hard work our members put into their businesses and their dedication to sourcing quality Lincolnshire produce. We are especially thrilled to partner with Lincolnshire Life to deliver the awards - and to work with our sponsors Lincolnshire Co-operative, DoubleTree by Hilton Lincoln and onlincolnshire.”
People can join in the conversation ahead of the Select Lincolnshire Food and Drink Awards by following #LFDA13 on Twitter or liking the onlincolnshire Facebook page, www.facebook.com/onlincolnshire
The live stream will be broadcast via www.onlincolnshire.org. Visit the News and Events page to watch it live from 9.30pm on Thursday 7th February.
Notes to Editors:
- onlincolnshire is a £57 million project run by Lincolnshire County Council which aims to provide broadband speeds of at least 24 Megabits per second (Mbps) for 90% of homes and businesses in the county, and a guaranteed 2Mbps for the remaining premises by 2015.
- onlincolnshire is part-funded by the East Midlands European Regional Development Fund Programme 2007 to 2013
- Some Internet users in rural Lincolnshire experience speeds of less than 1 Mbps. The UK’s average broadband speed is 7.6 Mbps, according to Ofcom.
- The Department for Communities and Local Government is the managing authority for the European Regional Development Fund Programme, which is one of the funds established by the European Commission to help local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support local businesses and create jobs. For more information visit www.communities.gov.uk/erdf
- For more information visit www.onlincolnshire.org
- For more information on the Select Lincolnshire Food and Drink Awards, visit http://www.lincsfoodandfarming.org.uk/section.asp?catid=23791