Free Loft Insulation for City Landlords
23rd May 2012
Landlords are keeping their tenants toasty and cutting bills by taking advantage of free loft insulation being carried out by a local firm.
Property management firm Lighthouse Property Services, based on Carholme Road in Lincoln, is helping its landlords take advantage of the free insulation by putting them in touch with the company.
The work, which has so far seen 40 Lighthouse-managed properties upgraded, is being carried out by North Hykeham-based Parr Energy Solutions using Government funding which reimburses the business for each loft it insulates.
Simon Sewell, Lettings Director at Lighthouse, said: “This is a great scheme and something we were keen to get involved with. It’s important for us to always be on the lookout for things which can help save our landlords money and make life more comfortable for the tenants.
“As well as ensuring the property is more energy efficient and keeping the tenants toasty, there are also financial benefits to improving insulation. Ensuring you have good insulation will help the property retain heat and keep your bills down as you won’t have to spend so much on gas and electric.”
The cost of insulating a loft varies depending on the property but an average sized three-bedroom house would set a homeowner or landlord back by around £350 for loft insulation if paying in full.
As well as landlords, homeowners can also take advantage of the scheme provided they don’t live in too large a property.
“We’re very grateful to Lighthouse for contacting landlords and asking if they want the work done,” said Karen Parr from Parr Energy Solutions, which is working with Duffield Joinery Services to carry out the work. “We then get the contact details for the tenants and follow up from there.
“The money is part of a Government pot of cash being made available so all to landlords, tenants and homeowners – not just the elderly or people on fixed incomes – can benefit. It runs until December 2012 and the only exclusions are very large properties such as five bedroom farmhouses.
“We carry out the work and then claim the cost back from the Government.”
According to Karen, who opened the firm in September last year with husband Craig Parr who has been in the building industry for more than 20 years, 25 per cent of heat is lost through the roof of a property if it has not got the proper insulation. Insulation that is provided is then effective for at least 40 years, and it will pay for itself over and over again in that time, Karen said.
Notes to editors:
- Lighthouse Property Services is a property management company which was established by Tim Clark in 200. The firm now manages a wide range of rental properties including students and the private sector. Visit www.lighthouse-property.co.uk or call 01522 780020 for more
- Lighthouse Property Services is part of Countywide which is the UK's No.1 Property Services Group
- Parr Energy Solutions is a family run business and specialises in money saving, eco friendly, energy solutions for homes and businesses. It is based in Lincoln working across the county as well as Nottinghamshire and South Yorkshire. Visit www.parr-energy-solutions.co.uk/ or call 01522 852445 for more
- Parr Energy Solutions recommend the following key points when having your loft insulation fitted:
- Make sure your driveway is clear for our installation van
- Clear all personal belongings and boarding from your loft
- After completion we ask you to sign a form to confirm the work has been carried out to your satisfaction
- Loft insulation takes one to three hours to install