Imps and Bishop Grosseteste Announce New Partnership
28th March 2013
Bishop Grosseteste University and Lincoln City Football Club are pleased to announce a new strategic partnership which will see both organisations working together for the benefit of the community.
Under the terms of the new three-year agreement BGU will become a leading partner of the football club, and the university’s new lions logo will appear on Lincoln City’s home and replica shirts from the start of next season.
The club and BGU will work closely together on a number of initiatives, including Football in the Community work, placement opportunities for BGU students and partnerships between the football club and BGU’s sports courses.
BGU will also work with Lincoln City Sport and Education Trust to support its work with children and young people in the local area.
“We’re very pleased to have agreed this partnership deal,” said Rob Jones, Director of Enterprise at Bishop Grosseteste University. “As a community university which serves a local student population BGU has an important role to play in the life of this city and county. Supporting our local football club is just one of the ways in which we can achieve this.
“The agreement is a win-win for both parties: Lincoln City get the financial backing of a local sponsor while this deal will help to raise the profile of what we offer in the area. We are looking forward to working closely with the club and developing a strategic partnership which will benefit both sides.
“It’s no secret that the Imps have had a difficult few years, and we think it’s important to stand up and be counted when the going gets tough. The club needs the support of everyone in the city as the season draws to a close and we urge fans to follow our lead and get behind the Imps.”
Russell Moore, Lincoln City FC Commercial Manager, added: “We are delighted to welcome Bishop Grosseteste University on board as a new partner of the football club.
“This agreement is magnificent news, not only for the club but also for the city of Lincoln, with both of us having a proud history and a vision for success.
“Not only will BGU be the club's new front of home shirt sponsor but the partnership will open up a number of opportunities for both parties to build for the future.
“We are confident BGU will be an excellent partner for us and we are looking forward to building a strong working relationship with them.
“The enthusiasm from Rob and the team at BGU is something that fills me and the club with excitement. Our three-year agreement will give the club and BGU the opportunity of working closely together in order to achieve our respective goals.”
Notes to editors:
- Bishop Grosseteste University was established in January 1862 and celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2012.
- It is an independent higher education institution based in Lincoln which awards its own degrees at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- It changed its name from Bishop Grosseteste University College to Bishop Grosseteste University in November 2012.
- Lincoln City Football Club was formed in 1884. Founder members of the Football League Second Division, the club celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2009.
- The club’s first team currently plays in the Football Conference, with Sincil Bank Stadium being one of the largest capacity stadiums in non-League football.
- The club works closely with the local community through the Lincoln City Sport & Education Trust, a registered charity whose work is regulated by the Football Conference Trust.