Taking Your Business Mobile
14th January 2013
With Google predicting that the majority of searches will be made on mobile devices in the not-too-distant future, and given the prolific growth of mobile devices, businesses can no longer dismiss the importance of this channel.
Businesses in Lincoln can learn more about mobile devices thanks to a free seminar this month.
Mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets give you access to software including the Internet, emails and calendars when you’re on the go. The seminar will explain the current developments in mobile technology and provide practical examples of its usage in today’s business world.
The What’s New in Mobile seminar will be held between 8.30am and 11.30am at The Showroom at Tritton Road in Lincoln on Wednesday 30th January. The session will be led by Andrew Talbot, who has worked in marketing for over 25 years and mobile app development for the last two years.
It is being delivered by the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce and is funded by Lincolnshire County Council’s onlincolnshire broadband project.
Charlotte Baxter from the Chamber said: “With Google predicting that the majority of searches will be made on mobile devices in the not-too-distant future, and given the prolific growth of mobile devices, businesses can no longer dismiss the importance of this channel.
“The non-technical seminar will explain the current developments in mobile technology and provide practical examples of its usage in today’s business world. The event is aimed at owners and managers of small businesses who want to drive down computing costs whilst using the latest technology.
“By the end of this seminar delegates should have a clearer understanding of how mobile devices would work for their business channel and the current best practice on mobile marketing. In addition you will leave the event with some great ideas for creating and sharing engaging content. Don’t worry if you haven’t got any technical knowledge – that’s what the seminar is there for!”
The seminar will offer delegates an overview of the latest usage trends for smart phones and tablets, an update on the latest hardware and tools, the differences between a mobile app or a native app, how to promote your business on Google+, mobile payments and creating and sharing content from mobile devices.
Only businesses based in Lincolnshire are eligible to attend the event.
The Chamber is involved in delivering the event as part of the Broadband Means Business campaign, which it is spearheading on behalf of the council along with the Federation of Small Businesses and the Institute of Directors. It is hoped the seminar can go some way towards increasing people’s understanding of the Internet and encourage more businesses to register with the onlincolnshire.org website.
Following the announcement that the EU has approved state-aid funding for broadband upgrades, the county is preparing itself for the superfast broadband roll-out. Businesses are encouraged to show their support for the upgrades by registering at www.onlincolnshire.org
The initiative is part of Lincolnshire County Council’s Lincolnshire Broadband Plan, which aims to bring next-generation broadband (a minimum of 24Mbps) to 90% of county premises by 2015 with a guarantee of at least 2Mbps for the remaining 10%.
Spaces are allocated on a first come, first served basis and must be booked in advance. To make a booking either email or call 01522 846293.
Notes to editors:
- The Broadband Means Business Campaign is being spearheaded by the Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce, the Federation of Small Businesses and the Institute of Directors.
- Businesses can show their support for the campaign by registering at www.onlincolnshire.org. Those without access to the Internet can still add their voice by calling Lincolnshire County Council’s Customer Service Department on 01522 782066 and giving their details.