Santa Fe Nursing Home Sued for Wrongful Death
A lawsuit was filed against Casa Real Nursing Home in Santa Fe for allegedly causing the wrongful death of 85-year old woman who died there due to infected bed sores.
The New Mexican reports that the woman was admitted to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center for difficulty in moving around caused by Parkinson’s disease. Several days later she was admitted to Case Real. Already considered at risk for bed sores, it was recommended that she be kept on an air bed and turned every two hours.
The complaint alleges that the nursing home staff, however, failed to take care of the women properly. She was readmitted to the hospital upon becoming unresponsive and it was found that she was incontinent, had a urinary tract infection, a kidney infection, and a sore on her coccyx (tailbone), writes The New Mexican. She was again transferred to the nursing home after five days with instructions that her sore needed treatment and proper care.
Family members allege in the complaint that when they arrived at the nursing home to take her to an appointment, they found the woman lying in clothes and sheets soiled with urine and feces. Despite several attempts at medical intervention, the sore did not improve and on March 1, 2010, the woman died at Casa Real from a bacterial infection, reports The New Mexican.
If you or a loved one has been harmed by nursing home abuse or negligence, call Sokolove Law today to learn more about pursuing a nursing home abuse lawsuit.