Celebrating a year of sporting successes – #GoTeamSolent
Southampton Solent University’s sports teams came together to celebrate their most successful year yet at an awards ceremony on Wednesday (6 May).
The Annual Sports Awards, held at the O2 Guildhall Southampton and organised by Solent Sport and the University, recognised teams and individuals who have enhanced Team Solent’s name in local, national and international sporting circles.
“All of our athletes have contributed greatly to what has been another successful sporting year for Team Solent,” says Phil Green, Associate Professor and Director of Solent Sport.
“Team and individual highlights are numerous, and include our men’s basketball and women’s football teams reaching the BUCS Premier League, our men’s footballers gaining promotion to FA Step 5 and winning the Southampton Senior Cup, and also league title successes for women’s basketball, women’s hockey, men’s and women’s volleyball and our wheelchair rugby squad.
“Individually we can boast a Commonwealth gold medallist and Hampshire female sports person of the year, and two boxing medals at the BUCS championships. Some of our Southampton Talented Athlete Scheme (STAS) athletes have also achieved considerable success in their chosen fields and we have seen some of our alumni in the sporting headlines throughout the year. The evening also celebrated the successes and achievements of coaches, administrators and volunteers.”
BBC’s Tony Husband presented the awards, which were sponsored by Pharmanutricals.
Tony said: “I was delighted to make it a hat-trick of years hosting the Southampton Solent University Sports Awards. I’m always so impressed with the levels of sporting success at the university and look forward to seeing more stars of the future.”
James Foad, three times world rowing silver medallist and Olympic bronze medallist at London 2012, attended the ceremony and congratulated the winners.
“Thank you for inviting me to the Sports Awards so I could celebrate everyone’s supporting success over the last year. I believe that those who take part in sport during education will be a huge success in whatever pathway they choose. I believe the two go hand-in-hand.”
The 2015 Sports Awards winners are:
- Sports Man of the Year Outstanding individual performances over the 2014-2015 sporting year - JESSE WALLER-LASSEN (Team Solent Football Men)
- Sports Woman of the Year Outstanding individual performances over the 2014-2015 sporting year - KALINA AXENTIEVA (Team Solent Basketball women)
- Male Newcomer of the Year 1st year student who has shown in their specific club outstanding performances - BRIAN REID (Team Solent Basketball men)
- Female Newcomer of the Year 1st year student who has shown in their specific club outstanding performances - LIA STEPHENSON (Team Solent Athletics and HPA)
- Male Contribution of the Year Has shown outstanding commitment and contribution to the development of their specific sports club over a sustained period of two years more - JAMES READING (Team Solent Boxing)
- Female Contribution of the Year Has shown outstanding commitment and contribution to the development of their specific sports club over a sustained period of two years more - CHLOE ILES (Team Solent Sub Aqua and Equestrian)
- Club of the Year On and off the sporting pitch/court, the club who has provided the more efficient and effective development and organisation - ROWING
- Team of the Year (BUCS League) Best performance within the BUCS Leagues – TEAM SOLENT BASKETBALL (MENS)
- Team of the Year (BUCS Cups) Best performance within the BUCS knockout Cup competitions – TEAM SOLENT ATHLETICS
- Team of the Year (Local Leagues/cups) Best performance with the local league leagues and cups - TEAM SOLENT FOOTBALL (MENS)
- Coach of the Year The Team Solent coach who has shown outstanding commitment and dedication to the development of the club and its members - GARY BANKS (Ladies Rugby)
- Solent Sport Community Development Award The student who has shown outstanding work and commitment to Sports Development initiatives with Sport Solent - ZOE LEWIS (Team Solent Football (women)
- Rising Star of the Year Young athlete (12-18 years old) who achieved outstanding individual performances over the 2014-2015 sporting year - MAHAMED MOHAMMED (Southampton Talented Athlete Scheme)
- Outstanding Sporting Achievement – (Individual) Individual who achieved an outstanding performance at a recognised event in 2014-2015 - KELLY SIMM (High Performance Academy – HPA)
- Outstanding Sporting Achievement (Team) Team who achieved an outstanding performance at a recognised event in 2014-2015 – TEAM SOLENT FOOTBALL (MENS)
More information on the winners is available. Please contact the Media Office.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT THE MEDIA OFFICE ON 023 8201 3079 or email@example.com
About Southampton Solent University
Southampton Solent University offers more than 19,000 students over 200 qualifications ranging from HND to PhD, in subjects such as maritime education and training, fashion and design, media and television, music, health, sport and leisure, business, IT and technology. The University was awarded the 2013 Quality Assurance kitemark for quality and standards of teaching and learning. Solent was voted one of the most creative universities in the UK in a Which? University 2014 poll of students. Solent Business School has been awarded the Small Business Charter Award, which is supported by the Association of Business Schools and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and ‘gold approval’ by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).