Studsvik AB and AEC signs joint marketing agreement for radioisotopes

Studsvik AB and AEC signs joint marketing agreement for radioisotopes Studsvik AB of Sweden and the Atomic Energy Corporation (AEC) of South Africa have signed a joint marketing agreement for a range of radioisotopes and related products as the first results of discussions regarding business collaboration. The purpose is to provide customers with a stable, assured supply of best value, quality radioisotope products and irradiation services based on two technically independent and geographically separate reactors and production facilities. The Agreement will offer the international Medical and Technology market sectors one of the most secure long term supply of radioisotopes available. The Agreement is the first stage of a joint strategy to develop a modern, market focused, radioisotope business that will serve the needs of customers into the new millennium. For further information, please contact: Leif Ericson, Executive Vice President and President Studsvik Nuclear AB, +46 155 22 17 72 or +46 70 605 80 99 Lawrence Hyslop, General Manager, AEC, +27 12 30 54 250 Thomas Backteman, Senior Vice President, Communications and Investor Relations, Studsvik AB, +46 155 22 10 66 or +46 70 559 10 66 Facts about Studsvik Studsvik is a high-tech company, focusing on the nuclear power industry and nuclear medicine. Business is conducted through four Strategic Business Units (SBUs): Nuclear Technology, Waste & Decommissioning, Industrial Services, Nuclear Medicine as well as through the unit, Other Business. Nuclear Technology offers products and services related to nuclear power plant operation. These include the testing and analysis of nuclear fuel and materials, computer codes for reactor operation, consulting and instrumentation for the measurement of radiation. Activities are dependent on Studsvik's nuclear reactors and specialist laboratories, located outside Nyköping. These facilities are also used for silicon doping for the semi- conductor industry as well as for research purposes and for radioisotope production. Nuclear Technology's range of products includes: * Testing and analysis of nuclear fuel and materials * Core design and core management computer codes * Consulting within safety and environmental analysis * Neutron doping of materials for semi-conductor and radioisotope production as well as for research purposes * Instruments for radiation monitoring, core monitoring etc. Nuclear Technology's existing customers are mainly active within the nuclear power industry in Europe, the USA and Japan. Nuclear power plants accounted for about 65 per cent of revenues in 1998 while authorities and other non- nuclear power-related customers accounted for the remaining 35 per cent. Waste & Decommissioning Waste & Decommissioning treats low and intermediate level waste from nuclear reactors and provides services for the dismantling of nuclear facilities. European operations focus on the treatment of low level waste in Studsvik's incineration and melting facilities located outside Nyköping. US operations, conducted at Studsvik's facilities in Erwin, Tennessee, include volume and weight reduction of ion-exchange resins from commercial nuclear power plants in the USA. Activities at Studsvik RadWaste's facilities outside Nyköping comprise: * Incineration of organic waste. The process results in a valuable volume reduction and a stable end product * Cleaning, segmentation and melting of metal components no longer in service. Metal which is released for unrestricted re-use is recycled to the steel industry. * Reconditioning of intermediate level waste Industrial Services Industrial Services mainly provides services to the nuclear power industry and also offers services to other industries. Operations include decontamination, health physics, chemical cleaning and dismantling of nuclear facilities as well as process cleaning Activities have historically been concentrated to Sweden. However, since the German company, SINA, was acquired in 1998, the German business accounts for more than a half of the SBU's income. About 65 per cent of revenues in 1998 came from nucle ar power plants while regulatory authorities and other non-nuclear customers accounted for the remaining 35 per cent. Nuclear Medicine Nuclear Medicine provides a number of nuclear-related products and methods for medical use. The range includes a method for the treatment of brain tumors, an instrument for diagnosing stomach ulcers and a number of radioisotopes. Nuclear Medicine is a new Strategic Business Unit. Activities are currently being established and, in 1998, sales only comprised medical isotopes and the Heliprobe instrument. Other Business Other Business includes new products and services based on Studsvik's expertise within the nuclear field but which are mainly provided to non- nuclear process industry. Activities in this area include the testing and lifetime engineering of polymers, metals testing and products for optimizing the operation of nuclear and thermal power plants. To rapidly establish a broader platform, Studsvik's strategy is to develop the business through acquisition. ------------------------------------------------------------ Please visit http://www.bit.se for further information The following files are available for download: http://www.bit.se/bitonline/1999/09/06/19990906BIT00270/bit0001.doc http://www.bit.se/bitonline/1999/09/06/19990906BIT00270/bit0002.pdf

Subscribe