DAF’s aftersales excellence delivers results for Carlsberg
- New DAF LF and CF Euro 6 models chosen after a competitive tender to supply
- 98 new trucks worth £11.7m for Carlsberg UK's in-house national distribution service
- Aftersales package from DAF dealers was a key reason Carlsberg UK chose DAF
- Unique vehicle specifications tailored to Carlsberg UK's strict loading and safety requirements, plus some have three seat cabs for driver training
- Finance provided by PACCAR Financial over six years
After a competitive open tender, DAF has won an £11.7m order from Carlsberg UK for 98 new trucks for its in-house national distribution service.
Representing one of DAF’s biggest and most prestigious orders, the new vehicles will be the first DAF trucks on Carlsberg UK’s distribution fleet for 10 years, and will be based at eight of Carlsberg UK’s regional distribution centres across the UK doing multi-drop deliveries of beer, plus associated items such as gas cylinders.
DAF was able to provide vehicles that perfectly matched Carlsberg UK’s particular safety and environmental requirements, and is supplying them via a six year ‘Hire Plus’ agreement from its own PACCAR Financial PLC.
The 98 vehicles include 15t and 18t LF rigid models, plus 26t CF and 6x2 tractors all sporting Carlsberg UK’s new hop leaf livery. The CF tractor units are expected to do an annual mileage of around 130,000 km each, and around 60,000 km each for the LF and CF rigid models doing more local deliveries, making a total annual mileage in excess of four million kilometers for the new vehicles, which is why durability and a strong aftersales support from the DAF dealer network was a key reason why Carlsberg UK chose DAF this time.
Carlsberg UK is one of the only major beer and beverage businesses to retain its own drivers and in-house national distribution service, so used feedback from its drivers and trainers to specifically tailor the new trucks to the way it works, such as needing a low load height for unloading, and complying with strict load security safety standards, which DAF Trucks Sales Director, Ian Grant, worked closely with Carlsberg UK to achieve.
The curtainside bodies were designed to comply with the EN 12642XL load security standard, and to ensure the load stays inside the vehicle in the event of emergency braking or an accident, Carlsberg UK specified its own design of bungee restraint system able to withstand a 1g forward load restraint. The bespoke design also maximized the payload available by including safe storage of gas cylinders and trays which the trucks also carry.
Additional safety features fitted include anti-slip surfaces for the floor, tailgate lift and side guards which also act as access steps, side cameras, a forward camera to record any road incidents and an audible turning warning to alert pedestrians, cyclists and any other road users.
They also utilise specific tyre size and suspension settings with a bespoke interlaced body sub-frame to achieve the required, low 1100mm height for loading and unloading.
In addition, three-seat cabs were specified for 30 of the vehicles, so the Carlsberg UK driver training programme can train two drivers at a time, plus any new starters or agency staff can go out with the experienced two man crew usually used.
Commenting on Carlsberg UK’s satisfaction with the new vehicles, Andrew Davis, National Fleet Engineer, Carlsberg UK said: “The new DAF trucks will help our delivery fleet be greener and more efficient by delivering more with some of the cleanest, safest and best trucks on the road.”
“Driver feedback about the ride quality, cab and drivability has been really positive, plus there’s even some competitiveness to get the most efficient driving scores from the DPA (Driver Performance Assist) system, but the key reason for choosing DAF had to be because it had the best aftercare package from its dealers,” he continued.
Ian Grant, DAF Trucks Sales Director added: “It is very important to us, and satisfying, to have been able to meet, and hopefully exceed, Carlsberg UK’s requirements for its vehicles and aftersales service levels. The procurement process involved a big commitment for DAF, so we are delighted that the DAF range offered the right choice of vehicles that could be perfectly tailored to Carlsberg UK’s needs.”
For more information on the new DAF Euro 6 models, designed for maximum efficiency, reliability and the highest driver comfort, please visit www.daf.eu/uk , call 01844 261111 or email reception@DAFTRUCKS.com .
Notes to editors:
- DAF Trucks UK is the market leader across all sectors in the UK, from 7.5 to 44 tonnes. The new Euro 6 LF, CF and XF Euro 6 trucks are designed to maximise profitability for operators and provide drivers with the best possible driving experience, supported by a nationwide network of 133 dealers across the UK (including two in the Channel Islands). DAF is a subsidiary of PACCAR – the global leader in the design, manufacture and customer support of light, medium and heavy trucks. www.daf.eu/uk
- About Carlsberg UK: Our aim is to be the best beer and beverage business in the UK. We employ 1,800 people and boast household name brands including Carlsberg, Tuborg, San Miguel, Mahou, Tetley’s, Staropramen and Somersby Cider. We’re the only national brewer with its own dedicated distribution network and each of our UK depots is Cask Marque accredited. Importantly, we are engaged with society, which means we embrace our responsibilities and always strive to do the right thing.
For further information please contact:
Martin Hayes/John Rawlings, Automotive PR
t: +44 (0)20 7952 1070