YolanDa Brown To Play Benefit Concert For Japan Disaster @ Under The Bridge
Link to images and contact details below
Black Grape Global and Yamaha Music are delighted to present a special benefit concert by the double MOBO Award winning saxophonist YolanDa Brown, to help raise funds for The Japan Society’s Tohoku earthquake relief fund. The concert on Saturday 4th June is to be held at London's luxurious new entertainment venue 'Under The Bridge', costing £20 million and located within the Chelsea Football Club complex at Stamford Bridge.
Yamaha Artist YolanDa Brown is widely regarded as the emerging “voice” of mainstream Jazz and one of the UK's most exciting and in-demand live performers, whose concerts are always guaranteed to sell out.
Currently in the studio recording her eagerly anticipated album, due for release in early 2012, YolanDa decided to take time out of her recording schedule to perform the benefit concert with her stunning live band, to help the relief fund and show solidarity with the Japanese people.
YolanDa Brown has made the saxophone truly her own, taking jazz and introducing it to a diversity of genres from soul to R&B, gospel to loping reggae and infectious Latin. YolanDa has performed with some of the music world's most respected artists including Alexander O'Neal, Mica Paris, Omar, Soweto Kinch and Sway and with her own fantastic band in a range of platforms from the London Jazz Festival to the Royal Albert Hall and Barbican, opening for artists including The Temptations, Diana Krall and David Sanborn.
YolanDa Brown told us, "I was deeply touched by the human tragedy of the recent earthquake and Tsunami disaster in Japan, being particularly moved by the unity and dignity shown by the Japanese people. As a Yamaha artist, I appreciate the wonderful support I receive and feel a great affinity with Japan, where the fantastic saxophones I am privileged to play are manufactured. I believe it is time for me to hold hands with Japan."
Yamaha Marketing and Promotions Manager Ian Frankland stated, "The staff at Yamaha UK have been deeply shocked by the tragic events we've all witnessed in Japan. Yamaha's global headquarters and most of our factories are located in Hamamatsu, some way south of Tokyo, which was largely unaffected by the Earthquake. Thankfully all our Japanese friends and colleagues are safe and are continuing to work as normally as is possible in such difficult circumstances. However, so many others were not so fortunate, so we are delighted to be supporting our close friend and inspirational artist YolanDa Brown in her benefit concert for such an important cause."
YolanDa Brown - Japan Disaster Benefit Concert
Venue: Under The Bridge, Chelsea Football Club, Stamford Bridge, Fulham Road, London, SW6 1HS
Date: Saturday 4th June 2011 Doors: 7.30pm
Ticket prices: £35, £50
Tickets now on sale. For more information and to purchase tickets please visit www.ticketweb.co.uk or call the 'Under the Bridge' box office on 08444 771 000.
Notes to editor:
for more information, images or to arrange interviews contact DJPR
- YolanDa Brown was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Arts by the University of East London
- YolanDa Brown won the MOBO award for “Best jazz” in 2008 and repeated the achievement in 2009 also for “Best Jazz”
- YolanDa Brown has 2 Masters and has been studying a PhD for four years at the University of Kent, before taking a hiatus from her thesis in January 2010 to pursue her music career
- Brown played to the President of Russia in 2009
- Brown was listed in the Evening Standard as one of the top 30 black students in the UK selected by ex Prime Minister Gordon Brown.
- YolanDa Brown was appointed as the UK's Class Band ambassador in February 2011.Yamaha Class Band is a whole-class wind band teaching method, currently being piloted, until July 2012, in a collaboration between Yamaha UK and two of the UK's leading music services.
Contact: Peter Ross / DJPR / 07970 191668
T Oyelola / Black Grape Global / 07931 131372