Wirepas launches a dedicated connectivity product for beacons
- Wirepas Connectivity for Beacons
Wirepas, a global device connectivity provider, is extending its product portfolio to a new application area - beacons. The new product is based on the unique Wirepas Connectivity protocol, and it is optimized to fulfill the needs of various beacon use cases.
Beacons are a fast growing application area within the device connectivity and IoT (Internet of Things) markets. Beacons have several use cases in retail, transportation, and events for example.
Wirepas Connectivity for Beacons enables wireless connectivity for any beacon device and provides a remote fleet management solution, without extra hardware. In addition, it enables enhanced beacon security, providing protection against beacon spoofing and piggybacking attacks.
The product is ready for any beacon protocol, such as iBeacon or Eddystone. With Wirepas Connectivity for Beacons, the status of the beacons is available 24/7 and the beacons can be remotely configured, without compromising the battery lifetime.
- Wirepas Connectivity for Beacons is a good example of our value proposition. The ability to flexibly optimize the connectivity solution to the needs of the customer’s business case and application is crucial to the development and growth of IoT based business. With our focus on the software we are able to optimize the network according to the actual application requirements, Wirepas CEO Teppo Hemiä summarizes.
With Wirepas Connectivity beacons can be inter-connected via a wireless mesh network at any scale. All necessary device-side functionality is included in the Wirepas Connectivity firmware, including the low energy mesh operation, concurrent beacon advertisements, and remote beacon management API (Application Programming Interface). The functionalities include status monitoring and remote configuration for the beacons. Wirepas Connectivity for Beacons runs on the same physical layer as Bluetooth thus enabling mesh and beacon functionality to run on the same chipset hardware, concurrently.
- The unique features of Wirepas Connectivity for Beacons provide a perfect fit for efficiently managing beacons. Fully automatic network operation provides easy installation and requires no maintenance for the network. It also enables remote firmware updates that can otherwise be a costly operation for large-scale beacon networks, Wirepas CTO Ville Kaseva highlights.
Wirepas will be showcasing its Wirepas Connectivity and Wirepas Connectivity for Beacons at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona 22-25 February. Wirepas can be found at Team Finland stand at 1E04 in hall 1. CEO Teppo Hemiä will be available at the stand for media on Wed 24 February 11 am to 1 pm.
Please find a short video of Wirepas Connectivity for Beacons: http://www.wirepas.com/site/applications/beacon/
* Teppo Hemiä, CEO, +358 (0)50 561 0198, teppo.hemia(at).wirepas.com
* Sebastian Linko, Vice President, Marketing and Communications, +358 (0)40 023 6607, sebastian.linko(at)wirepas.com
Wirepas in brief
Wirepas is focused on providing the most reliable, optimized, scalable and easy to use device connectivity for its customers. Wirepas Connectivity is a de-centralized radio communications protocol that can be used in any device, with any radio chip and on any radio band. With Wirepas Connectivity there is no need for traditional repeaters, because every wireless device is a smart router of the network. The connected devices form the network - easy as that. Wirepas has its headquarters in Tampere, Finland and offices in Brazil, France and the United States.
Things connected - Naturally, www.wirepas.com