WOMEN INNOVATE MOBILE NAMES FIRST FOUR COMPANIES FOR ACCELERATOR PROGRAM
Tech incubator for women selects first graduating class of female-founded companies.
NEW YORK – March 5, 2012 – Over the last 45 days, applications have been pouring in from across the US and around the world for a chance to be invited to Women Innovate Mobile's (WIM) first Accelerator Class. Over this six-week period, WIM received applications from startups in 30 states as well as from entrepreneurs in Hong Kong, India, South Africa, Israel, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, U.K., and Canada. Today, WIM is pleased to announce it has selected Twain, Whatdayathink, Loudly, and Appguppy as finalists to participate in its first Accelerator Class.
About the Selection Process
After reviewing hundreds of emails and applications, WIM selected 23 startups to its shortlist, and then conducted in-person interviews with 11 finalists. "It was an amazing experience to receive so much interest from female-founded mobile start-ups from across the country and around the world," said Kelly Hoey, WIM's Managing Director. "While the entrepreneurs applying to participate in WIM were heavily concentrated in New York, the visualization of the applicants and our networks demonstrates the vast and diverse connections of women, men, companies and organizations invested in the success of our venture. It's clear from this that WIM has a very different look and feel from other accelerator programs."
About the WIM Accelerator Program
WIM is a three-month mentorship driven accelerator program that starts on March 26 in New York City and runs until June 29. The selected companies get $18,000 in seed funding, free office space, product development and design support, mobile-marketing promotions, and personalized instruction and guidance from a vast network of mentors, funders and advisors. At the conclusion of the program, the organization will host WIM Demo Day with investors, advisors and mentors in June 2012. The upcoming WIM Accelerator Program schedule includes:
- March 26 - WIM Accelerator start date
- Mid-June - Pitch/Demo Day
- June 29 - WIM Accelerator end date
About the Winners
- Founders: Roshan Hall and Miao Yun Kuang
- Twain delivers "learn to read" interactive storybook apps designed to help parents teach reading skills to their children
- Founders: Emily Dimytosh and Harry Brundage
- Whatdaythink delivers multi-location retailers/hospitality real-time guest feedback so they can improve guest experiences
- Founders: Sophia Chou and Foy Savas
- Stop hiding your phone number, control how people call and text you with Loudly.
- Founders: Ashwini Nadkarni, Raj Dandage, Anagha Nadkarni
- Appguppy is a site that lets users create and distribute a cross-platform mobile app in 5 simple steps, and less than 5 minutes
How to apply for WIM
Due to the extraordinary interest in WIM's first Accelerator Class, WIM is changing over to a rolling submission process. Visit http://www.womeninnovatemobile.com for the latest information on upcoming class dates and events.
About Women Innovate Mobile
Women Innovate Mobile (WIM) is the first startup accelerator and mentorship-driven program designed for women-founded companies in mobile technology. WIM's goal is to provide women entrepreneurs with the guidance, feedback and connections needed to make their startups best in class companies and formidable business concerns. For more information, visit http://www.womeninnovatemobile.com.
PenVine for Women in Wireless