PASSPORTS, TICKETS, MONEY...BREAKDOWN COVER? · Motorists driving abroad may not be covered if they break down · Breaking down abroad and being recovered back to the UK could cost as much as £1000 · MORE TH>N Rescue provides FREE European Breakdown Cover automatically* Brits taking to the roads for motoring holidays in Europe this Easter may not be adequately covered if they break down, according to MORE TH>N, and they may not even realise it. Drivers without European breakdown cover could face a hefty financial blow as well as unwanted hassle if they do need to use a foreign motorway tow or breakdown service. Motorists without European breakdown cover could pay as much as £1000 if they broke down in France and had to be recovered back to the UK. David Pitt, Head of Breakdown Services for MORE TH>N said: "Motorists just don't realise how expensive breaking down abroad can be. Just having your car towed from the motorway can cost over £100 in the Netherlands and that is even before you face the cost of the actual repairs." MORE TH>N strongly advises motorists to check their Breakdown policies before they set-off, and arrange any additional European cover as many standard Breakdown policies don't automatically cover European breakdowns. Of the MORE TH>N motorists who suffered a European breakdown last year**, two thirds of those occurred in France (65%), whilst Yugoslavia was least common - with less than 1% of motorists breaking down there. Other hotspots for breakdowns were Spain (9%) and Ireland (6%). David Pitt continued: "UK motorists should carefully check their Breakdown policy before they drive their car to Europe this Easter to ensure they are covered in the event of a breakdown - it could save hours of frustration and lots of money too. It's also important to remember that speed limits vary between European countries so before travelling abroad motorists should log-on to the MORE TH>N website which contains useful information about driving requirements in different European countries. "We would also suggest that motorists give their cars a decent inspection before they head off and check the tyre pressure, oil and water levels and obviously if they have sufficient fuel - you'd be surprised how many motorists break down due to lack of petrol." Customers can obtain MORE TH>N Rescue cover from as little as £39 - which will cover them both in the UK and in Europe. What's more, MORE TH>N's European assistance centre has a multi lingual customer services capability to help with any language barriers motorists may experience with a foreign mechanic or garage. Customers wanting to drive to Europe this Easter should call 0800 316 4460 or log on to to find out more information about MORE TH>N Rescue. -ENDS- Notes to Editors: *MORE TH>N offers four levels of Rescue Cover: · Level 1- Roadside Assistance · Level 2 - Roadside Assistance & Homecall · Level 3 - Roadside Assistance & Recovery plus FREE European Assistance · Level 4 - Roadside Assistance, Recovery & Homecall plus FREE European Assistance **Source: Study of total number of MORE TH>N breakdown cases logged by country in 2002. Benefits of MORE TH>N Rescue: · A dedicated emergency service call centre open 24 hours a day, seven days week · European cover at no extra cost · A 10% introductory discount (applies to the first year's premium only) · A nationwide network of over 3500 recovery crews across the UK · We aim to respond to customers within 35 minutes and attend to 95% of all call outs within an hour in the UK · Aim to repair at least 75% of breakdowns at the roadside · 10 years experience in the breakdown market · Competitive Prices - MORE TH>N Rescue is based on the same principles of insurance, that of risk assessment. If you have a relatively new car and drive a low mileage you'll be less prone to breaking down therefore you are more likely to get a lower premium for the same quality of service compared to other companies. · A Rescue Pack offering practical advice on what to do if you breakdown MORE TH>N is the direct financial services arm of Royal & Sun Alliance. It offers motor, home, pet, travel, life and health insurance as well as savings and investments via the Internet and by phone. Further information: Claire Allen Media Relations, MORE TH>N Tel 020 7337 5602 MORE TH>N's TOP TEN TIPS FOR DRIVING ABROAD THIS EASTER For members of the public who are becoming bored with package holidays and are opting for a more independent self drive holiday, MORE TH>N, has come up with ten top tips for driving abroad: 1. Check your motor policy to ensure you have full insurance cover for driving abroad. A green card is no longer needed in EU countries, if you're travelling further afield, contact your insurer at least two weeks before. Check that your breakdown policy covers European breakdowns. A typical cost for recovery from France back to the UK is £1,000 and £88 for a tow off a French motorway on a Sunday. 2. Before embarking on your travels make sure you have the following documentation: Driving Licence, Vehicle Registration Document, Passport, plus travel and motor Insurance Documents. 3. Fit your car with headlamp converters to ensure you don't dazzle oncoming traffic. 4. Check the legal requirements for driving in countries you intend to visit. For example in France the minimum age for drivers is 18 years and children under 10 can't travel as a front seat passenger. Whilst travelling in a rear seat, children under 10, must use a restraint system appropriate for the child's size and weight. For more information on driving requirements in different European countries log on to 5. In some European countries you must carry a Red Warning Triangle in case of breakdown, but it's advisable to do so in any country as it acts as a warning to approaching traffic that there has been an accident or breakdown ahead. 6. Take an International Driving Permit, although not legally required it's instantly recognised in most countries. 7. MORE TH>N recommends that you take the following equipment: Torch, Toolkit and Jack, First Aid kit, Fire Extinguisher, Tow Rope and Spare Bulbs when travelling in Europe. If your car takes unleaded petrol it's advisable to learn what this is in the language of the country you're visiting. Here's a few to get you started: French: essence sans plomb Spanish: gasolina sin plomo German: unverbleiter treibstoff 8. Make sure your car has been fully serviced before you embark on your trip. 9. Most road signs follow an international pattern but unless you speak the language of the country you visit it's advisable to brush up on some signs. Would you know the following? Chaussée déformée (France): Uneven road surface Sens Unique (France): One Way Doorgaand verkeer gestremd (Netherlands): No throughway 10. Remember tiredness can kill! Plan your route well, know where the service stations are and don't undertake long journeys without regular stops. - ends - Further information Claire Allen Media Relations, MORE TH>N Tel 020 7337 5602 ------------------------------------------------------------ This information was brought to you by Waymaker The following files are available for download:

About Us

This UK press release has been distributed by Waymaker, providers of Tools for IR & PR Professionals. Call us today on +44 (0)1494 797225 to find out how Waymaker can benefit your business.