ABB supports China in transition to a "New Normal" with world-class innovation and energy efficiency
Zurich, Switzerland, Beijing, China, November 2, 2016
ABB CEO Ulrich Spiesshofer and Claudio Facchin, President, Power Grids division, delivered keynote addresses at ABB’s Power World 2016 event in Beijing, demonstrating ABB’s unique position as the partner of choice for stronger, smarter and greener grids in China as well as increasing digitalization in all areas of the power industry. ABB, which has a long history in China and considers China to be its “second home”, has been supporting China’s world class power infrastructure development and the country’s transition to its "New Normal".
“ABB is uniquely positioned to help China achieve the goals of the nation’s 13th Five Year Plan – building a clean, low-carbon, safe and effective modern energy system – in the context of the global Energy and the Fourth Industrial Revolutions,” said Spiesshofer. “We have a long and successful track record in China, which is one of our key markets. In addition, we have major manufacturing, R&D and engineering hubs in China and we remain committed to continue supporting China as a partner of choice in shaping a stronger, smarter and greener grid.”
ABB has over 100 years' experience in China, guided by its “In China, for China and the world” approach. This combines a strong local presence of over 18,000 employees, and several successful joint ventures with Chinese firms. ABB has a pioneering innovation and technology heritage in China, and has played a key role in some of the country’s most important national infrastructure and power provision projects. These include the Three Gorges-Shanghai and Xiangjiaba-Shanghai HVDC transmission links, and multiple venues for the Olympics and APEC venues in Beijing, and G20 Summit in Hangzhou.
China’s move towards its “New Normal” brings significant opportunity to unlock value for ABB’s customers and shareholders. The company's Power Grids division is ideally positioned to support the ongoing development of China's energy infrastructure through the integration of renewables, digitalization of power substations and the reliable and efficient transmission and distribution of electricity. ABB has been making a decisive contribution to China’s development through R&D in China. ABB’s value chain in China stretches from R&D to manufacturing to sales and service.
ABB's technology leadership, underpinned by its digital offering through ABB Ability TM , can support China’s drive for industrial productivity as well as growing infrastructure and consumer demand for electricity resulting from its rapid urbanization. These efforts also support the country’s 'Belt and Road' initiatives as well as a push to renewables like solar power.
Some of ABB’s landmark and recent successes in China include partnering with the country’s leading utilities for world-class projects:
- ABB commissioned the Xiangjiaba-Shanghai project
- Its disconnecting circuit breaker (DCB) with Fiber Optic Current Sensor (FOCS) is a key development for digital substations integrating circuit-breaking, disconnecting and current measurement in one single component and reducing the space needed for a substation bay by up to 70 percent. This smart grid-enabling switchgear is part of SGCC’s next-generation smart substations project enabling remote control, protection, automation, monitoring and diagnostics
- ABB won orders of over $300 million for the world’s first 1,100 kV UHVDC power link in China – the Changji-Guquan link – to transport 12,000 MW of electricity over 3,000 km
- ABB also secured orders to supply advanced converter transformers for the Ximeng-Taizhou and Shanghaimiao-Shandong transmission links capable of transporting up to 10,000 MW of power setting a new world record in terms of capacity at the 800 kV voltage level
- The State Grid of China is investing in ABB’s shore-to-ship power solution to enhance reliability of power supply and reduce environmental impact at the Dalian Container Port terminal in the northeast Chinese province of Liaoning
- ABB will provide advanced power equipment to the 800 kV Dianxibei-Guangdong UHVDC transmission link operated by China Southern Power Grid Company Limited, one of the country’s two major grid operators. The link is expected to transmit 5,000 MW of power across more than 1,950 kilometers.
“ABB’s ultrahigh voltage technology advancements and digital solutions are making it possible to integrate more renewable energy and transmit increasing amounts of power over greater distances with minimal losses and uncompromising reliability,” said Facchin.
As part of its Power World exhibition, ABB will display around 100 smart, efficient, safe and green power products and solutions. Some of the application and technologies in focus include, power plant automation, digital substation, HVDC transmission, renewable energy integration, energy management, cloud based service, shore-to-ship power, and smart homes. These are solutions designed to help customers address the changing demands of a dynamic and digitalized world while reducing cost, risk and environmental impact.
For more information please contact:
+41 43 317 65 68
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in electrification products, robotics and motion, industrial automation and power grids, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing more than a 125-year history of innovation, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization and driving the Energy and Fourth Industrial Revolutions. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 135,000 employees. ABB has a full range of business activities in China, including R&D, manufacturing, sales and services, with 18,000 employees, 40 local companies, and an extensive sales and service network across 147 cities.