10 TIPS FROM A FORMER TRAUMA NURSE FOR TRAVELERS CONSUMING ALCOHOL OVERSEAS
Allianz Global Assistance Urges Travelers to Stay Safe and Be Vigilant After Reports of Tainted Alcohol
Mexican authorities have seized more than 10,000 gallons of tainted alcohol and opened an investigation into an illicit manufacturer who had been supplying numerous resorts, nightclubs and restaurants. In light of these actions, travel insurance provider Allianz Global Assistance shares reminders of important alcohol consumption safeguards while traveling overseas.
“Whether staying at an all-inclusive resort or a home sharing rental within the city, staying alert and being prepared when traveling is vital,” said Kimberly Seay, RN, director of Travel Assistance at Allianz Global Assistance USA, and a former ER/Trauma nurse. Seay recommends the following 10 tips for travelers to follow when consuming alcohol on vacation:
- Drink in moderation/limit alcohol usage
- Insist on watching your drink being made
- If you are suspicious of the color, then trust your instincts and - do not drink it
- Bottled or can beer does appear to be a safer option
- Insist that the beer is opened in your presence
- Buy your own alcohol at “duty free” shops and only drink what you brought, even if you are required to pay a “corkage fee”
- Never, ever, leave your drink unattended
- Be observant and aware of your surroundings
- If you do feel ill, seek attention immediately
- Call your travel insurance provider if you need help finding medical care, or if you are admitted to a hospital
Because destinations cannot guarantee that tourists will remain 100 percent safe on their vacation due to unforeseen situations that can occur, it’s important that travelers remain vigilant and take the necessary precautions before and during their trip.
“Something as unpredictable as tainted alcohol can turn what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation into a medical emergency. Travel insurance with sufficient medical coverage can provide direct payments to hospitals so that consumers don’t have to pay out of pocket for their care,” said Daniel Durazo, director of communications at Allianz Global Assistance USA. “The right travel insurance provider will also be there 24/7 to answer questions and help manage serious illnesses or injuries. Tools like our TravelSmart app provides consumers with a database of approved healthcare facilities overseas, local emergency numbers, one-touch dialing to reach us and more.”
Allianz Global Assistance offers travel insurance* through most major U.S. airlines, leading travel agents, online travel agencies, other travel suppliers and directly to consumers. For more information on Allianz Global Assistance and the policies offered for travelers, please visit: www.allianztravelinsurance.com.
Allianz Global Assistance USA
Allianz Global Assistance USA (AGA Service Company) is a leading consumer specialty insurance and assistance company. We provide insurance to over 25 million customers annually and are best known for our Allianz Travel Insurance plans. In addition to travel insurance, Allianz Global Assistance USA offers tuition insurance, event ticket protection, registration protection for endurance events and unique travel assistance services such as international medical assistance and concierge services. The company also serves as an outsource provider for in-bound call center services and claims administration for property and casualty insurers and credit card companies.
* - Terms, conditions, and exclusions apply to all plans. Plans are available only to U.S. residents. Not all plans are available in all jurisdictions. For a complete description of the coverage and benefit limits offered under your plan, carefully review your plan’s Letter of Confirmation/Declarations and Certificate of Insurance/Policy. Insurance coverage is underwritten by BCS Insurance Company (OH, Administrative Office: Oakbrook Terrace, IL), rated "A-" (Excellent) by A.M. Best Co., under BCS Form No. 52.201 series or 52.401 series, or Jefferson Insurance Company (NY, Administrative Office: Richmond, VA), rated "A+" (Superior) by A.M. Best Co., under Jefferson Form No. 101-C series or 101-P series, depending on state of residence. Allianz Global Assistance and Allianz Travel Insurance are brands of AGA Service Company. AGA Service Company is the licensed producer and administrator of these plans and an affiliate of Jefferson Insurance Company. The insured shall not receive any special benefit or advantage due to the affiliation between AGA Service Company and Jefferson Insurance Company. Non-insurance benefits/products are provided and serviced by AGA Service Company. Allianz Global Assistance does not endorse or sponsor any of the above non-affiliated companies.
Media Contact: Daniel Durazo