A strong end to the year for ASSA ABLOY
- Net sales increased by 15% in the quarter to SEK 18,301 M (15,847). Organic growth was 5% (3).
- Strong growth in Americas, Global Technologies, Entrance Systems and EMEA.
- Negative growth in Asia Pacific due to continued weak demand in China.
- Agreements have been signed for the acquisition of six companies, including CEDES in Switzerland, with combined expected annual sales of about SEK 1,100 M.
- Operating income (EBIT) for the quarter increased by 13% to SEK 3,038 M (2,681). The operating margin was 16.6% (16.9).
- Net income amounted to SEK 2,120 M (1,889).
- Earnings per share rose by 12% and amounted to SEK 1.91 (1.70).
- Operating cash flow increased by 33% to SEK 4,625 M (3,469).
- Net sales increased by 20% to SEK 68,099 M (56,843). Organic growth was 4% (3).
- 16 acquisitions with total annual sales of about SEK 2,500 M have been consolidated.
- Operating income (EBIT) increased by 20% to SEK 11,079 M (9,257). The operating margin was 16.3% (16.3).
- Net income amounted to SEK 7,693 M (6,436).
- Earnings per share rose by 20% to SEK 6.93 (5.79).
- Operating cash flow increased by 21% to SEK 9,952 M (8,238).
- The Board of Directors proposes a dividend of SEK 2.65 per share (2.17).
SALES AND INCOME
|Fourth quarter||Full year|
|Sales, SEK M||15,847||18,301||+15%||56,843||68,099||+20%|
|Operating income (EBIT), SEK M||2,681||3,038||+13%||9,257||11,079||+20%|
|Operating margin (EBIT), %||16.9||16.6||16.3||16.3|
|Income before tax, SEK M||2,552||2,851||+12%||8,698||10,382||+19%|
|Net income, SEK M||1,889||2,120||+12%||6,436||7,693||+20%|
|Operating cash flow, SEK M||3,469||4,625||+33%||8,238||9,952||+21%|
|Earnings per share (EPS), SEK 1)||1.70||1.91||+12%||5.79||6.93||+20%|
1) Earnings per share has been recalculated for all historical periods reflecting the stock split (3:1) in 2015.
COMMENTS BY THE PRESIDENT AND CEO
“The final quarter of the year continued strongly for ASSA ABLOY, with a rise in sales of 15% for the quarter and totaling 20% for the year,” says Johan Molin, President and CEO. “Operating income also grew very satisfactorily by a full 13% for the quarter and a total of 20% for the full year.
“Organic growth was strong, at a full 5% for the quarter. The strong sales trend in the USA, Europe and the Pacific region continued unchanged. The sales trend in the developing countries remained good except in China, where sales continued to fall. However, a weaker demand picture can be perceived in many developing markets, linked to a shortage of financing for major projects. This principally affected Global Technologies.
“The strong development of electromechanical products continued during the year as our customers are converting from mechanical locks to an ever-increasing extent. It is clear that ASSA ABLOY has established a leadership in this area for both commercial and residential applications. Particularly striking during the year was the strong demand for digital door-locks for so-called home automation in the USA, and for the Cliq system based on the new cloud technology.
“During the quarter CEDES was acquired – an interesting technology company that adds intelligence to connected doors, mainly in Entrance Systems. Another technology acquisition was made in HID through the purchase of IAI, which is a leader in advanced printers mainly for the Government sector and banks. Three acquisitions were also made in Brazil, where ASSA ABLOY has built a market-leading position over a short period.
“Operating income increased by a full 13% during the quarter. The organic growth of 5% resulted in a good underlying growth in the operating margin, to which continued efficiency improvements contributed strongly. Operating margin remained on virtually the same level as in the fourth quarter of 2014 despite higher negative impacts from exchange-rate effects and dilution from acquisitions as a consequence of the many acquisitions made at the end of the year.
“My judgment is that the global economic trend remains weak. Although America is showing a positive trend, Europe and many of the Emerging Markets are stagnating. However, our strategy of expanding in the Emerging Markets remains unchanged, since they are expected to achieve very good economic growth long term. We are also continuing our investments in new products, especially in the growth area of electromechanics.”
FURTHER INFORMATION CAN BE OBTAINED FROM:
Johan Molin, President and CEO, Tel: +46 8 506 485 42
Carolina Dybeck Happe, Chief Financial Officer, Tel: +46 8 506 485 72
ASSA ABLOY is holding an analysts’ meeting at 10.00 today at Operaterassen in Stockholm. The analysts’ meeting can also be followed on the Internet at www.assaabloy.com. It is possible to submit questions by telephone on +46 8 5055 6476, +44 203 364 5371 or +1 877 679 2993.
ASSA ABLOY discloses the information provided herein pursuant to the Securities Markets Act and/or the Financial Instruments Trading Act. The information was submitted for publication at 08.00 CET on 8 February.