BioGaia AB Interim report 1 January – 31 March 2013
“The year is off to a positive start with a growth rate of 25% (excluding foreign exchange effects) of our finished consumer products and in light of our focused efforts to enter the truly large markets and create additional business opportunities together with Nestlé, I am optimistic about our ability to exploit the potential of our acknowledged effective products in the expanding probiotics market,” says Peter Rothschild, President of BioGaia AB.
“Sales of component products, consisting mainly of cultures to Nestlé and a few other producers of baby formula products, decreased according to plan following last year’s agreement with Nestlé for a perpetual license to use Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis in baby formula” continues Peter Rothschild, President of BioGaia AB.
1 January – 31 March 2013
(Figures in brackets refer to the same period of last year)
- Net sales reached SEK 78.1 million (78.3) (excluding licence revenue from Nestlé), which is a decrease of SEK 0.2 million (0%). Excluding foreign exchange effects, net sales improved by SEK 3.0 million (4%). Net sales for the previous year also included licence revenue of SEK 356.0 million from Nestlé, regarding the license to use Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis in infant formula during the remaining time of the patent that was regarded as non-recurring revenue.
- Net sales of finished consumer products amounted to SEK 65.6 million (54.8), an increase of SEK 10.8 million (20%). Excluding foreign exchange effects, net sales were up by 25%.
- Net sales of component products totalled SEK 11.9 million (23.0) (excluding licence revenue from Nestlé), a decrease of SEK 11.1 million (48%). Excluding foreign exchange effects, net sales fell by 46%. Net sales for the previous year also included licence revenue of SEK 356.0 million from Nestlé that was regarded as non-recurring revenue.
- Operating profit was SEK 17.8 million (26.1) (excluding licence revenue), down by SEK 8.3 million (-32%). Excluding foreign exchange effects, the decrease was 26%. Including licence revenue, operating profit for the first quarter of last year was SEK 382.1 million.
- Profit after tax was SEK 17.7 million (20.8) (excluding licence revenue), a decrease of SEK 3.1 million (-15%). Including licence revenue, profit after tax for the first quarter of last year was SEK 283.2 million.
- Earnings per share totalled SEK 0.97 (1.18) (excluding licence revenue). Including licence revenue, earnings per share for the first quarter of last year amounted to SEK 16.37.
- The period’s total cash flow was SEK 22.8 million (358.7). Last year’s cash flow included payment of SEK 356.0 million in licence revenue from Nestlé. Cash and cash equivalents at 31 March 2013 totalled SEK 397.6 million (529.9). Cash flow since 31 March 2012 includes dividends of SEK 103.6 million, tax payments of SEK 90.9 million and investments in Twopac of SEK 19.7 million. The proposed dividend to the upcoming AGM amounts to a total of SEK 172.7 million.
Key events in the first quarter of 2013
- Launch of gut health tablets with Vitamin D in Finland.
- Launch of gut health tablets in an additional flavour in Hungary and France.
You are welcome to take part in a teleconference on the interim report that will be held today at 9:30 a.m. by President Peter Rothschild. To participate in the conference, please see telephone numbers on www.biogaia.com/agenda .
BioGaia has published this information in accordance with the Swedish Securities Market Act. The information was issued for publication on 26 April 2013, 8:00 a.m. CET.
This is a translation of Swedish version of the interim report. When in doubt, the Swedish wording prevails.
Latest press releases from BioGaia:
21 Mar 2013 - Notice to attend the Annual General Meeting of BioGaia AB
8 Feb 2013 - BioGaia AB Year-end report 2012
17 Dec 2012 - BioGaia signs two new distribution agreements and yet another study on periodontitis shows positive results
BioGaia AB Box 3242, SE-103 64 STOCKHOLM
Street address: Kungsbroplan 3A, Stockholm
Telephone: 46 8-555 293 00, Corp. Identity no. 556380-8723 www.biogaia.com
For additional information contact:
Peter Rothschild, President, BioGaia AB, telephone 46 8-555 293 00
or Margareta Hagman, Executive Vice President, BioGaia AB, telephone 46 8-555 293 00
BioGaia is a healthcare company that develops, markets and sells probiotic products with documented health benefits. The products are primarily based on the lactic acid bacterium Lactobacillus reuteri , which has probiotic, health-enhancing effects. The class B share of the Parent Company BioGaia AB is quoted on the Mid Cap list of the NASDAQ OMX Nordic Exchange Stockholm. www.biogaia.com