BPI Announces Home Energy Upgrade Professional Certifications for Veterans
GI Bill Reimbursement Available for BPI Certification Testing
Malta, NY, March 6, 2012: The Building Performance Institute, Inc. (BPI) is pleased to introduce professional certifications in the growing field of home energy efficiency upgrades to U.S. veterans. Skills and experience obtained through military service, including technical skills and commitment to quality, are highly valued in the home performance industry.
BPI is the nation's premier standards development and credentialing organization for residential energy efficiency retrofit work. BPI supports the development of a highly professional home performance industry through individual and organizational credentialing and a rigorous quality assurance program.
BPI certifications offer numerous benefits to veterans, including:
- Portable Credentials – BPI certifications are nationally recognized by employers
- Job Security – The industry is growing to meet demand from 300 million people in 130 million homes that need to improve energy efficiency
- Industry Network –A committed alliance of organizations from training through employment is working for you
- Community Support – the energy efficiency industry enjoys active support from local community organizations and state and federal programs
A career in the home performance industry builds upon skills gained in a variety of fields, and prior experience in the field is not required.
BPI certified energy auditors use building science principles to assess the home’s potential for energy savings. BPI certified retrofit installers follow BPI standards to increase the comfort and safety of a home and maximize energy savings. These professionals work in a variety of specializations including insulation, heating and cooling, remodeling, construction, and utility programs. Click here for more information.
GI Bill Reimbursement for BPI Certification Testing
The cost of BPI certification exams has been approved for GI Bill reimbursement. Eligible veterans in the Eastern Region of the U.S. can be reimbursed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) when applications are submitted within one year from the time the test is taken.
In the near future, reimbursement for BPI testing will be available nationwide. BPI encourages veterans throughout the U.S. to contact BPI for logistical assistance to help all veterans through the reimbursement process as national approval is established later this year.
The VA Eastern Region includes: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and West Virginia.
Veterans must complete a BPI certification exam and provide documentation of the testing within one year of application. Both written (online) and field tests are eligible.
For more information on GI Bill reimbursement, view this Department of Veterans Affairs brochure.
About the Building Performance Institute
BPI is the nation's premier building performance credentialing, quality assurance and standards setting organization. BPI develops technical standards using an open, transparent, consensus-based process built on sound building science. BPI is approved by the American National Standards Institute, Inc. (ANSI) as an accredited developer of American National Standards.
BPI offers the following:
- National standards to ensure top quality, consistent protocols are being followed throughout the home performance and weatherization workforce
- Certification of individuals in building analyst, heating, AC/heat pump, shell/envelope and multi-family designations
- Accreditation of contracting companies committed to delivering quality home performance improvements
- Quality assurance to verify conformance with BPI Standards and provide feedback for continuing improvement
- Partnership with testing organizations that deliver BPI services in their market