New research asks will "13" be an unlucky year for car manufacturers?
With speculation around the issue of the so called “unlucky 13” car registration plate in March, car finance and dealer specialists carfinance247.co.uk have carried out a fun study* to see just how superstitious motorists really are.
Their study revealed:
- 12% of those questioned feel that having a “13” car registration plate is unlucky;
- more than twice the amount of women (18%) felt it is unlucky compared to 7% of men;
- those in the age band 50-59 were the most cynical about the “13” registration plate being unlucky – with 100% having no concerns about it;
- motorists aged 18-29 were the most superstitious (40%);
- 14% of respondents would pay for a personalised number plate to avoid having a car registration plate with "13" in it and this was an equal split between male and female drivers.
When asked: If you had a choice, what would you buy - a used car, very low mileage, with a “62” number plate? Or exactly the same make, model and spec with “13” reg plate for the same cost?
- 42% would opt for the car with the “62” registration plate;
- women were 15% more likely to choose this option than their male counterparts;
- those in the age band 30-39 were the most likely to opt for a “62” plate – 60% compared to those a decade older (23%).
Finally, the colour green is also associated with bad luck, with 12% of those questioned saying they would never buy a green car.
Louis Rix, Director at Carfinance247.co.uk, says: “The study shows that more than one in ten motorists associate the number 13 with bad luck, and would rather buy the same, make and model of vehicle – at the same price – to get a “62” registration plate.
“The research also showed that 12% of motorists would never buy a green car – tying in with our sales data last year that showed that green, used, cars were among the least popular colour”.
"It will be interesting to look back and see if this year was really bad luck for new car manufacturers and good luck for used car dealers!"
* Independent research carried out in February 2013 on behalf of Carfinance247.co.uk by Usurv.
Louis Rix, Director of carfinance247.co.uk, on: 0845 129 5526 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Founded in 2000, carfinance247.co.uk is a privately owned business with offices based in central Manchester. We provide vehicle financing solutions for all financial circumstances such as hire purchase, personal contract purchase, contract hire and other leasing options. No deposit is required and we give you the choice of buying any car from any dealer nationwide. Or, if you prefer, we can supply and deliver any make and model of your choice.