Landlords shouldn't rely on tenants to know when things needs servicing

New research* from Cover4LetProperty.co.uk - the landlord insurance specialists – has revealed that 17% of tenants are unaware as to when their boiler was last serviced – potentially comprising their health and safety.

The study also showed that 83% of private tenants are unaware of their rights from April 2016 regarding the energy efficiency of their rented property – a lack of knowledge that could cost them dear in terms of higher fuel bills.

Richard Burgess, Director at Cover4LetProperty, commented: “While it is the responsibility of a landlord to ensure that the boiler is serviced annually - and an obligation under their landlord insurance policy - our research highlighted that one in ten tenants said the last time their boiler was serviced was over a year ago.

“Our study also showed that just 17% of tenants were aware of the new legislation from April 2016 relating to energy performance ratings – leaving the other 83% perhaps living in a draughty home and paying more to heat it than they need to.

“While we specialise in helping landlords with protecting their property portfolios, we urge them to understand the obligations relating to health and safety, as well as helping their tenants save money on their utility bills.”      

Ends

* Independent survey of 100 tenants carried out December 2015 via Usurv.

Contact:

Richard Burgess, MCIM, ACIEH, CII Director at Cover4LetProperty, telephone: 0845 863 9558 or email: richardb@alanblunden.co.uk

About Cover4LetProperty:

With roots going back to 1946, our clients can benefit from nearly 70 years’ of experience in the landlord insurance marketplace. We are award-winning independent intermediaries and act on behalf of our clients in arranging their buy to let and unoccupied property insurances. Our service includes advising clients on their insurance needs, arranging insurance cover with insurers to meet those requirements and help with any ongoing changes that have to be made to their landlords insurance policies.

In 2011 we were proud to beat off some stiff competition for the award for Best Landlord Insurer in the prestigious The Money Awards.

Tags:

About Us

About Cover4LetProperty With roots going back to 1946, our clients can benefit from many years’ of experience in the landlord insurance marketplace. We are award-winning independent intermediaries and act on behalf of our clients in arranging their buy to let and unoccupied property insurances. Our service includes advising clients on their insurance needs, arranging insurance cover with insurers to meet those requirements and help with any ongoing changes that have to be made to their landlords insurance policies.

Media

Media

Documents & Links

Quick facts

17% of tenants are unaware as to when their boiler was last serviced – potentially comprising their health and safety
Tweet this
83% of private tenants are unaware of their rights from April 2016 regarding the energy efficiency of their rented property
Tweet this

Quotes

While it is the responsibility of a landlord to ensure that the boiler is serviced annually - and an obligation under their landlord insurance policy - our research highlighted that one in ten tenants said their boiler was last serviced was over a year ago
Richard Burgess, Director at Cover4LetProperty
Our study also showed that just 17% of tenants were aware of the new legislation from April 2016 relating to energy performance ratings
Richard Burgess, Director at Cover4LetProperty
While we specialise in helping landlords with protecting their property portfolios, we urge them to understand the obligations relating to health and safety, as well as helping their tenants save money on their utility bills
Richard Burgess, Director at Cover4LetProperty