Bumper season of events and activities for English Heritage in Yorkshire
From kings of England to the ‘prince of darkness’, spiritual reflection to hilarious history, 2013 is set to be a bumper year of events for English Heritage sites around the Yorkshire region, with something to appeal to visitors of all ages!
From Easter right through until Christmas, many of English Heritage’s most popular sites throughout the region will welcome a host of historic re-enactors and interpreters to help visitors young and old to truly step into England’s history, meeting characters from the past with a story to tell for visitors of the present.
“We’ve planned a wonderful series of events large and small this year, including family fun trails around Clifford’s Tower, a summer of hilarious history at Scarborough Castle, and the return of the Knights’ Tournament to Richmond Castle,” comments regional events manager, Jon Hogan. “As Brodsworth Hall remembers World War II with a new exhibition, so our events will have a 1940s wartime theme, whilst Whitby Abbey will welcome the return of its acclaimed theatrical promenade performance of Dracula every weekend in the summer and family activities during all the school holidays.”
Mount Grace Priory and Helmsley Castle will host summer evenings of classical performances, including Sense & Sensibility, Twelfth Night and Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors in August, with more alfresco performance at Rievaulx Abbey every Sunday in June with medieval music from a troop of wandering minstrels.
“All of our daytime events – including our highlight events – are free for English Heritage members, which includes admission for up to six children going free with each adult member, so anyone watching the pennies this year can enjoy a bumper season of days out from just £35 per person,” adds Jon.
Highlight events for 2013 include:
- Falconry of Kings – Fri 29, Sat 30, Sun 31 March & Mon 1 April at Rievaulx Abbey
- World War II events at Brodsworth Hall & Gardens:
- o Requisition - Sat 4, Sun 5 & Mon 6 May
- o Blackout Brodsworth - Fri 17 & Sat 18 May
- o The Home Front - Sat 25, Sun 26 & Mon 27 May
- o Forties Fete Evening - Fri 21 Jun
- o Forties Fete - Sat 22 & Sun 23 June
- o Training for D Day - Sat 10 & Sun 11 August
- The Path to Paradise - Sat 25 May – Sun 2 June at Whitby Abbey
- Dracula at Whitby Abbey, every weekend from Sat 20 21 July to Mon 26 August
- The Knight’s Tournament - Sat 27 & Sun 28 July at Richmond Castle
- Medieval Courtly Combat - Fri 9 & Sat 10 Aug at Richmond Castle
- Hilarious History Festival – Sat 24, Sun 25 & Mon 26 August at Scarborough Castle
- The Illuminated Abbey - Wed 30 Oct – Sat 2 November at Whitby Abbey
For more information, or for a list of all events taking place at English Heritage sites in Yorkshire in 2013, please call 0870 333 1181 or visit www.english-heritage.org.uk/events
Notes to editors: The 2013 English Heritage events press pack is now available. Please follow the link at the bottom of this email to download a PDF version, or if you would like a hard copy or a copy on CD (including the image bank) please email email@example.com
For further media information, please contact:
Jay Commins – PRO English Heritage (Yorkshire)
Tel: 01904 500698
Mob: 07810 546567